Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder issue post clavicle fracture

Max Fourman

Dear all

I was wondering if anyone had any experience recovering from a clavicle injury. 

I fractured my clavicle 2 years ago after being hit by a car. It has healed well with minimal shortening and no residual skeletal issues. Unfortunately it has left my right shoulder with some muscular imbalances and postural issues. I am primarily a climber and too much time spent pulling, shortening of the lats, and not enough chest opening, along with the usual 21st century issues of too much time at a computer mean my shoulders have probably always been a bit internally rotated / rounded. The additional effect of 6 weeks in a sling have meant my right shoulder is slightly depressed, internally rotated and pulled forward by very tight subscapularis and pec minor.

I have just recently started gymnastics bodies foundation series and thoracic bridge. I am greatly looking forward to correcting these mobility issues and strength imbalances. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with similar injuries, any progressions to particularly focus on, anything to be wary of etc. Specific stretches and mobility drills are welcomed.

My goal is to be able to climb injury free in the long term, and ensure balanced shoulder girdle development with the use of gymnastics bodies progressions.

Many thanks for any advice

Max

Hi Max, 

Man glad it was only your clavicle in the car accident.

The Foundation course and Bridge series are perfect to help you increase range of motion. I do believe the mobility in the Handstand course, which is mostly done with the PVC pipe will also be a huge help for you.

Take your time with training, GymnasticBodies has seen many athletes recover from old injuries, just takes time. :)  

Thanks for the reply

Does the handstand course consist of a progression of exercises like foundation, or is it just one video like thoracic bridge?

Also if anyone has any specific exercises they recommend I would love to hear them

Regards

Max

Thanks alessandro.

With the other 2 stretch courses (middle and side split) are they like foundations, or are they like the thoracic bridge video?

thanks

max

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Max,

The Front Split and Middle Split courses are set up exactly like the Thoracic Bridge course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2017 at 1:48 PM, Max Fourman said:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience recovering from a clavicle injury. 

Hi Max,

I've sort of got similar issues - not with the clavicle bone per se, but the AC joint at the end, a chronic niggle that no-one has ever really got to the bottom of. 20 years of favouring it (avoiding all pushing / replacing with pulling movements) plus computer desk work ...

The GST course is the first consistent programme that I've been able to follow without flaring this injury up. Occasionally I've been tempted by a Metcon class and regretted it for the next 1-2 weeks. In a nutshell the best advice, in my super humble and not expert opinion, is to not rush through the progressions. As Coach Sommer says - leave the ego at the door! I found it a bit demoralising starting back at basics and low reps, especially as I knew I could smash out much more if I put my mind to it. I train at a Crossfit box too, so you can imagine how ridiculous it looks to everyone else haha. I just do my weird little exercises in the corner and suck up the odd glances.

As well as not rushing - often I wait 1 or 2 sessions before progressing to the next step *just in case* for those weak areas (HBP,  sPL & SL to a lesser degree) - making sure to be consistent with training also makes a huge difference. I typically do 2x week (would love to do 3x but if I feel fatigued, I won't - whether due to training, lack of sleep or work stress) as well as the stretch series and HS course. Oh, in addition I add in some shoulder prehab exercises that I was taught at the Bodytree GST / GB affiliate in Singapore - mostly Xiao Peng circles (both directions), dislocates, hanging (forward & backward grip) & scap rotations.

On the fatigue note, I really try to rest as much as I can and max food nutrition - bone broth, organ meats, tonnes of veggies etc. I have a thyroid condition too, which is why I'm especially conscious of this, but am sure it will help other forms of healing. **disclaimer, I am not a medical professional!!

Edited to add - I found that doing MF release with on chest and also delts helped quite a bit, and I have a light resistance band in the office which I sometimes use to do shoulder extensions kind-of-not-very-subtly to open the chest out during the day.

Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd share since managing this stupid injury has been the most difficult part of my workout life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1