Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

decline blocks, a wrist saver

Mikael Kristiansen

Mikael Kristiansen

There is a topic here about handstand blocks already, but I chose to make a new one since this can help a lot of people with wrist problems out. Most people experience some degree of pain in the wrists at certain times when learning handstands, which is totally normal. However, some get a lot of problems due to the pressure and flexion of the wrists. In the circus school I am in there are some people who cannot do handstands on floor or on normal blocks because of surgery/pain, and they use decline blocks instead. I have used it too during periods of strained wrists, and it works great. It is basically just a handstand block which is cut at an angle so you get less wrist flexion. You still have grip on the front of the block due to the height of the block. It does not change the balance since you can still use your fingers as on a normal block. I will take some pictures of my friends blocks tomorrow and see if I can get the measurements if someone is interested.

Interesting! We use a similar, but thinner block in yoga for the same reason and many find it helpful. Post some photos, i'm just getting ready to make some regular blocks to see how i can adapt them to improving my handstands etc.

I will take some pictures of my friends blocks tomorrow and see if I can get the measurements if someone is interested.

That would be cool!

I already got regular blocks but since I had a lot of trouble with my wrists in the past I'm afraid the pain will come back as soon as I start training handstands more often.

Did you already take some pictures?

I'm sorry :oops: just wanted to remind you, handbalancer