Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 weeks in: First milestone and it's a big one.

Mark Cafiero

Mark Cafiero

I'm happy to be writing an update of achieving a major milestone attributed to GST just 2 weeks in.

Some background - I used to do these 30 minute HIIT workouts on a treadmill that were devastating, but I loved them.

One day I went in to do it and POP!  Right in my knee.  Kept popping and hurt.  The pop followed me everywhere - especially on stairs.  Stability was compromised.  I felt like my leg could just collapse.

It *kind of resolved on it's own, but the running never came back.  I just could not run and I mean I couldn't even jog alongside my 3 year old at the park.  He dominated me every time.

Thought I tore a miniscus in my knee.  Went to ortho.  Got X-Rays.

Diagnosis was not a torn anything.  It was too tight of muscles and ligaments and knee was off track.  

Went to PT, they gave me stretches.  Never did them.  1.5 years later I still can't run.  I always jump on the treadmill to test it out, but same terrible results: popping within 60 seconds.

Here's where it gets good.

Week 2 of working on front splits exercise.  Doing a simple pike stretch, my finger tips are barely touching the floor.  That's funny.  First time I did this, I was 3" short of the floor.  I must not be locking my knees.

I readjust.  Lock the knees.  Flex my quads to make sure they stay locked.  Do it again.  Fingertips barely touch ground again.  

Amazing.

So then yesterday I thought well if I'm progressing in stretching, maybe it's time to try running again.  Started off at 5.5 mph like my usual warm up.  2 minutes in, no popping.  Decided to try a HIIT interval.  Bumped up the speed and incline.  Ran through it with no issues.  

...Next thing you know I'm cooling down after a complete 30 minute HIIT just like I used to do 1.5 years ago.  The feeling was nostalgic.  I stepped off like a new man who just got out of a time machine.

Good stuff.  Still not even close to doing the splits.  But oh hell yes I am going to keep working!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Jennifer Marie

Wow, Mark, this is wonderful! I've been off the running for a couple of years due to calf issues that multiple medical professionals couldn't figure out. Perhaps I'll try again. I've certainly seen plenty of other great improvements due to the GB courses.

Happy running!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1