Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle distraction/compression with bands

Étienne Lajeunesse

Étienne Lajeunesse

What are your thoughts on these mobility techniques?  Are they useful? Are they harmful?

And for the voodoo floss, is it recommended?  How does it work?

Étienne Lajeunesse
3 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Definitely. Look up Kelly Starrett and "SmashweRx" on Youtube… great stuff

Yeah, I was asking because I read some good and bad sides of this.  I wanted to know more. :)

Matthias Schwartz

Hi Etienne, 

Can you elaborate on the "bad sides" please? I've had good results with both band distraction and compression, and definitely no harm besides some occasional normal soreness. What are the negative reports you've read/heard?

Thanks,

Matt

• Upvote 1

Étienne Lajeunesse
11 minutes ago, Matthias Schwartz said:

Hi Etienne, 

Can you elaborate on the "bad sides" please? I've had good results with both band distraction and compression, and definitely no harm besides some occasional normal soreness. What are the negative reports you've read/heard?

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt,

Well, one of them was that it forces the joint and could cause some injuries by putting/pulling with pressure.  Is it true? 

If it's a good way to mobilize, how do we integrate it?

For the voodoo floss, it's more of a quick solution that doesn't really last.  What about that?

I'm just trying to understand!

• Upvote 1

Matthias Schwartz

Hi Etienne,

Thanks for the details. I think for the Voodoo floss, it being temporary is a possible valid criticism. I think it has helped my elbows through repeated application but there have been times that it has felt like there was relief for a few hours but no change the next day. I think it does work but needs to be used repeatedly and very vigorously. That is, you have to wrap tightly and move the joint a lot (50-100 reps) while wrapped, in order to effect change. I've used Voodoo flossing to recover from both medial and lateral epicondylitis.

As far as banded distraction, compression, and leveraging, I've had no problems there. I don't think it is any more dangerous than regular stretching. You just have to begin gradually and see how your body responds. Some smaller, less stable joints like shoulders will require more care while the hip joints in most people are so large that they can take a good amount of force. Like most things, its more about how the tool is applied rather than the modality itself. They are good tools to make an existing stretch stronger. For large muscles like those of the hips, this is a good thing. I've also used pretty strong banded distraction on my knee with no ill effects. Just start off easy and slowly ramp up after you see how your body responds.

Best,

Matt

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi @Matthias Schwartz

I could use a try for the distractions to see how it goes.

For the voodoo floss, is it good only good for injuries? For example, my left wrist's feeling a bit weak, I suppose it's a good time to use it, but other than that?

Matthias Schwartz

Honestly, I can't evaluate that over the internet. Voodoo flossing seems to be indicated in cases where there is restriction, tendinopathy, and scar tissue. The idea behind flossing is to tack down surfaces together tightly and then force them to slide past each other in order to break up adhesions between layers. There is no study that proves that it works but it seems to in practice.

If you have wrist weakness sounds like a different issue, that either requires medical intervention or simple strengthening. 

Best,

Matt

• Like 1

Étienne Lajeunesse
19 minutes ago, Matthias Schwartz said:

Honestly, I can't evaluate that over the internet. Voodoo flossing seems to be indicated in cases where there is restriction, tendinopathy, and scar tissue. The idea behind flossing is to tack down surfaces together tightly and then force them to slide past each other in order to break up adhesions between layers. There is no study that proves that it works but it seems to in practice.

If you have wrist weakness sounds like a different issue, that either requires medical intervention or simple strengthening. 

Best,

Matt

Alright, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for your help :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Jennifer Marie

Just as a second opinion, I love banded mobility work. Experiment with angles, pressure, and band strength, and of course, listen to your body. I'm indifferent to voodoo floss, and it seems to have fallen out of favor at my lifting gym.

I agree with Suzanna. Kelly Starrett has some great stuff out there for free, plus some good books if you prefer non-internet reading. His mobility stuff compliments GST well for me.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey,

I know that Starrett has some good stuff about mobility which I use regurlaly.  I got his book some years but really started to experiment it some while ago.  

I only use bands, foam rollers and balls. Voodoo floss isn't a tool a really like to use, maybe I just don't know how.

But yeah, you all convinced me on that. :)

• 5 weeks later...
Étienne Lajeunesse

Coming back to this topic, how many times a week is it recommended to use the voodoo floss?