Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is a reverse planche possible? What progressions to follow?

Michel Hendrickson

GoldenEagle
On 7/8/2017 at 3:48 PM, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Simplifying it : Is it possible to hold this -

- while keeping shoulder extension this way? :)

It looks to me physiologically impossible.  I don't see how we can produce so much force from our post-delt. and surroundings to keep this complete extension.

Looking over the picture and the all of the body positioning.

1. To rephrase what Alessandro stated.  Someone would dislocate their shoulder before reaching horizontal. In the picture the upper arm is being held fully internally rotated which is in one of the weakest positions for the shoulder joint.

2. As for a scaled down version, I can not think of any.  Especially If the shoulder joint is going to remain internally rotated, as seen in the picture. In the "Men's Artistic Gymnastic code of points" (AKA: MAG code of points) starting at page 42-53 of the linked pdf file there is no "Reverse" planche. "Planche" itself is called a "Support Lever."

With the shoulders externally rotated, see the suggestions in the posts above.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Joaquin Malagon

To avoid confusion Etienne was referring to the inverted planche and Alessandro was referring to the reverse planche form seen in bboying. 

• Upvote 1

Étienne Lajeunesse
On 23/07/2017 at 1:36 AM, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

Looking over the picture and the all of the body positioning.

1. To rephrase what Alessandro stated.  Someone would dislocate their shoulder before reaching horizontal. In the picture the upper arm is being held fully internally rotated which is in one of the weakest positions for the shoulder joint.

2. As for a scaled down version, I can not think of any.  Especially If the shoulder joint is going to remain internally rotated, as seen in the picture. In the "Men's Artistic Gymnastic code of points" (AKA: MAG code of points) starting at page 42-53 of the linked pdf file there is no "Reverse" planche. "Planche" itself is called a "Support Lever."

With the shoulders externally rotated, see the suggestions in the posts above.

Hi,

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of.  But I don't understand your point on the FIG code of points.

I was just saying that's impossible to hold the position as seen on the first picture and that a reverse planche  (stated in other posts here) was the only way to do it.