Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building muscle

Anthony Winyard

Anthony Winyard

I started GST in August 2016 and do my GST routine every day from Monday to Friday and rest at the weekend doing Foundations 1, Handstand 1 and the Stretch series and my mobility, flexibility and strength have all increased hugely since August.

I'm 53 and have never had to worry about my weight ever in my life. I have a thin frame and have been skinny my whole life and even though I've always eaten colossal amounts of food have never been able to put weight on. Ideally I would love to put a little more muscle on, not to the extremes of bodybuilding or anything like that, just a little more muscle but I also realise the importance of balance and do not want to get out of balance as I know that's when issues develop.

Based on the above I'm wondering the best way to go about that goal? Would it be to do a little weight training occasionally or to focus more on certain elements of the GST programme or something else entirely? OR do I need to be realistic and realise that this aim will likely put my body out of balance and to forget about it?

Posting a photo of myself/my body on here seems a little vain or would that help with any suggestions?

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Hi Anthony,

GST, even the basics, will pack on the muscle if the nutrition is there to support it. From my experience, as long as athletes are getting enough protein in, then even the initial exercises will build muscle. It is slow and steady, but that is good as it keeps your strength and mobility balanced.

Do you own Thrive or have an idea of your daily protein intake?

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

Sure your goal is attainable.

First realize there are three basic soma/body types: Ectomorph, Mesomorph, and Endomorph.

Going off of your descriptions: 1. Do some personal research into the Ectomorph body type.  You will find out how others managed to build muscle wihout much cardiovascular training. 2. Your thyroid glands control the speed of metabolism and depending on what you do with your skin, you will either stimulate or suppress your thyroid glands and ultimately speed up or slow down your metabolism. 

After the above just follow the Foundation program. As you follow the program your body will gradually build more muscle fibers to support the development of your tendons and your overall body will have a balanced build.

• Like 1