Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pike Press to Handstand

Tevdoradze David

Tevdoradze David

Same for Pike Press. Would you give some tips and corrections for improvement.  Because one of the important aspects of my training is the esthetics. Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

The only "little" problem here it is the handstand. it must be strongly corrected.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tevdoradze David

Thanks for reply. Hope this time is a little bit better handstand. Need some shoulder work. Working on thoracic bridge. Hope it will help.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

It is simply impossible to correct shoulders restrictions in a couple of days. in fact, there is no difference compared to the previous video.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tevdoradze David

Good day, Hope the one this kind of exercise will help me to improve shoulder flexibility and mobility. Would you suggest stop handstand and concentrate first shoulder mobility or it can be same time gradually corrected during handstand drills, of course i will pay more attention for this issue.  Thanks.

Edited by Tevdoradze David

Alessandro Mainente

Free handstand and press skills must be approached only once a perfect shoulder range of motion it is available. if not it is a loss of time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
David Salas
On 26/6/2017 at 4:58 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Free handstand and press skills must be approached only once a perfect shoulder range of motion it is available. if not it is a loss of time.

Why the hanstand is wrong Mainente? can you explain please !

Alessandro Mainente

The shoulder flexion showed in the video it is less than 180°.

• Upvote 1

David Salas
52 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The shoulder flexion showed in the video it is less than 180°.

Ok. Can yo explain with an image or example to look and learn please how ??

Mikael Kristiansen

I dont post here anymore but i saw this and need to chip in.

In the second clip the handstand is quite good and so is the pike press. The shoulders do not need to open much more.

I assume you have hyperextension in your elbows due to the way your arms look in handstand. Because of the rotation of the upper arm when going into flexion, a hyperextended elbow allows you to get the mechanical line of force to be straight with less shoulder flexion than people without it. If you had severe lack of range in your shoulders(in specific regards to your body) you would 100% certainly lean a lot forwards when you did the pike press down. If you would go to 180 degrees flexion with your structure, it would severely stick your chest out.

With most handbalancers(including myself), this is very common as it makes it much easier to keep the chest in. The idea of opening the shoulders is the number one misunderstanding of hanstands i see around nowadays. If you just keep moving too far into flexion you will by default move the thoracic spine which by definition is flaring your ribs.

• Like 5

Tevdoradze David

Hello and good day to everyone,  today i made one video to have a look, if u notice i am slowly opening my shoulders in the video and if i open more it throws me to thoracic spine stand or i don"t know the name of the element. May be because of lack of mobility and strength of shoulders? by the way i have hyperextension of elbows. i will try to open more shoulders, till it is 180 deg.

Alessandro Mainente
On 30/7/2017 at 5:24 PM, Tevdoradze David said:

Hello and good day to everyone,  today i made one video to have a look, if u notice i am slowly opening my shoulders in the video and if i open more it throws me to thoracic spine stand or i don"t know the name of the element. May be because of lack of mobility and strength of shoulders? by the way i have hyperextension of elbows. i will try to open more shoulders, till it is 180 deg.

the compensation you are talking about it is typical of people who have a lack of mobility in the shoulder joint. then the body reacts by opening the thoracic spine. something you should avoid.

• Like 1

Tevdoradze David

Exellent Alessandro , that is what i wanted to know! thank you.

• Like 1