Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Home Gym Setup Advice

Mark Lim

Hi,

Am moving soon, so new place is being renovated. Am hoping to have some gymnastic home gym equipment.

I'm not really interested in stuff like squat racks and benches. Am interested in gymnastic rings, stall bars and maybe parallel bars.

i) My question would be, what equipment should I have and briefly why?

I'm not very strong, so I mostly spend my time on basketball, bodyweight movements, kettlebells, and doorframe straps/pull-up bar.

I saw the article here on stall bars and thought it sounds great, and wouldn't take up too much space. 

Gymanstic rings seem awesome, but as I said I'm not very strong so perhaps I'm having dreams of grandeur.

My goal would be to increase strength, as well as overall fitness.

Also I'll be in a condo, so space is limited, but I may have the option of a small outdoor area.

While we're on it;

ii) What exact space measurements are needed for the gymanstic rings?

But 1.5 meters clearance (I'm assuming each side) sounds like a huge amount of space just for a pair of rings.

Thanks for any advice and sorry if it's a bit too wordy.  

Everett Carroll

Hi Mark,

Here are some threads that should help you design your home training area:

After looking these over, please feel free to post any remaining questions you have.

P.S. If you have a doorway pull-up bar, that should be just fine. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Everett,

Thanks for the links. I read through them and if I understand correctly stall bars and rings will go a long way for me.

However one of the threads has a guy saying he made stall bars for a hundred bucks. I wouldn't even know where to start, and buying one looks in the range of 500 to even 1,000 bucks. The threads imply stall bars are a must, but the cost doesn't seem justified for mostly stretching work.

Also I was hoping for detailed advice on setting up gym rings, like measurements, alignments and materials. The threads mostly recommend throwing some straps around a tree or door mounted pull up bar.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Everett Carroll

Hey Mark,

Stall bars and rings are what you want for GST, especially in the long-term. 

A set of quality stall bars like the rogue metal stall bars is well worth the investment since more than just stretching is done on them. Hundreds of GST exercises (strength and mobility) are best performed on stalls. If you can use some of the plans on the forums and make your own for cheaper, by all means, go for it. If you aren't able/don't have the desire to then rogue is what I recommend. 

Ring specs are found at the gear store: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gear/

Please add any other questions that come to mind to this thread! I hope this is helpful for now. 

• Upvote 1