Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Extreme tightness after good stretching session

Bryan Tilton

Bryan Tilton

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing extreme tightness (mostly hamstrings) the day or two after a really solid stretching routine?  I have been steadily improving my all-around flexibility by consistently doing the GST stretch series, and when I feel very limber my back pain is pretty much gone (I have a "disc protrusion" on L3/L4 and L4/L5 from a poor deadlift about a year ago which flares up often).  There are, however, some days where I have an excellent stretching session and then experience extreme hamstring tightness the next day or two which also causes significant back pain for me throughout the day.  Sitting throughout much of the day certainly doesn't help me either.

Is this fairly common, this sort of extreme tightness after a solid stretching session?  Any other tips to loosen up, or is this just the body's way of recovering and eventually it will heal and I'll find myself more flexible than ever?

Luke Searra

Great question Bryan, believe it or not, it's pretty common. The degree of soreness/muscle stiffness will eventually change and disappear, however, if you would like to lessen the stiffness more immediately you can also do this through routine sauna use or hot bath. I would also recommend you not stretch to the same intensity, but just tone it down slightly to the point where the stiffness does not result in back pain (if this makes sense).

• Upvote 2

Bryan Tilton

Thanks for the feedback, Luke.  I'll try toning it back a little bit on the stretching to see if that reduces the next-day tightness.  

• Upvote 1

Luke Searra

If you have access to a bath or sauna, think about adding that as well Bryan, it will help flush your system and reduce lactic acid.

• Upvote 2

Mikey Cunanan

Hi Bryan! 

The soreness you are experiencing is common, and to an extent "normal". Intense stretching, like in the stretch courses, is actually pulling apart the restricted fascia and muscle tissue. Depending on your condition you may experience mild to moderate soreness.

It should , however, never be debilitating. If it is causing excessive discomfort, decrease your intensity. On the "pain scale", aim for a 5-6 out of 10.

I hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

The day after an intense stretching session I suggest to perform a personal light massage with your hands, this will help to heal from the hard session on muscles reflex.

• Upvote 1

Suzanna McGee

I do also feel tight in my hamstrings the day after if my middle/front split sessions went extremely well. What works for me is that even before I get up out of the bed, I gently stretch in the bed… 5–10 minutes… That already makes it much better. Then I take a cold shower and go for one hour walk. By that time I may feel almost normal. If not, I do a light myofascial release (sort of like Alessandro suggests "personal light massage") and I am ready to hit my F7 later in the the afternoon. 

Jonas Winback

Have you ever had any sciatica from you disc protrusions? Since the sciatic nerve runs down the back of the thigh underneath the hamstrings, an irritated nerve can also impede progress a bit here and make the hamstring tense up more than it should. Doing a couple of neural glides as a warm-up before stretching sessions, as well as a couple of sets on non-stretching days as well, might loosen things up a bit.

Neural glide for the sciatic nerve (there are many varieties):

With a fairly strong rubber band, pull it towards you and hold it like the picture shows, with no more than a light stretch sensation. Bend your knee 20 degrees or so to slacken the nervous system and then gently straighten the knee while slightly lowering the degree of hip flexion (i.e. neural glide), 10 repetitions. Then hold it in an extended position and do a pumping motion with your foot (plantar flexion, in this case a bit more of a neural tension than a glide).

back_exercises_-calf_band.png

Another good neural glide is in a seated position. Extend your knee while at the same time and at the same pace extend your back and your neck. Then gently slump together (or just lean forward through hip flexion) while flexing the knee. This also allows the nerve to glide without being stretched.

What-can-I-do-for-sciatica-fig-4-sciatict

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Bryan Tilton

All,

Thanks for all of the great suggestions and questions.  Sorry it took me so long to write back. Update: my back is feeling considerably better.  I haven't been feeling the extreme tightness lately, which I fully believe is directly leading to a much more comfortable back.  I think what helped it is a combination of just keeping at the stretching as well as incorporating some of the tips here like use of a sauna (trying to get in about 3 times a week) as well as just generally getting the blood pumping to flush stuff out (started a regular swimming routine 2-3 times a week as well).

Hoping continued improvement with my flexibility leads to even better feeling in my back, but for now I'm just thankful that things are heading in the right direction and am excited to keep at it.

-Bryan

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Bryan,

It's great to hear that things are looking up. Keep working hard!