Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Raggedy" Long Head Bicep

Colm O'Reilly

Colm O'Reilly

Hey,

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere but my searches didn't reveal anything.

Brief history: MMA injury aged 19 (15 years ago), tore AC joint due to being thrown. Let it "heal", go about life. CrossFit for 10 years along with Irish National level lifting with poor enough thoracic mobility and occasional recurrent problems.

Jan 2016 - compete at Nationals. Thereafter, shoulder not right, missing lifts well below capacity, ongoing shoulder 'niggle'. Jan 2017 - Nationals again, worse, shoulder in agony for days after. Physio recommends MRI. MRI reveals "significant partial tear of supraspinatus and long head bicep described as "raggedy" by surgeon.

Corticosteroid shot approx 5 weeks ago in supraspinatus area - zero effect on strength or pain. 

Have been dabbling in GB since last summer, and more seriously this year. In particular performing the thoracic bridge series 1x/week religiously since October. Occasionally have pain on push ups, noticeable dull ache on full shoulder extension and sharp inhibitory pain on full flexion of right shoulder (even with increased flexibility).

Anyone any advice on dealing with this issue or similar with GB, or alterations I should make? 

Can provide more detail if needed. Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Colm,

Thanks for reaching out to us! My suggestion is to work closely with a sports physio. These specific issues are best dealt with in person. Unfrotunately, there is no way for us to safely help you from behind a monitor. 

• Upvote 3

Nick Murray

What was the condition of the labrum and long head of biceps tendon? There are some pulling exercises in Foundation 2 that move from short head of biceps to long head (and in fact, hinge rows from F1 also stress the long head and its tendonous attachment if you do them correctly). So best to get this sorted out first!

Petra Dvorak

Hi Colm

Sorry to hear about this... I just had a surgery 2 month ago on my right shoulder for the same issues (Supraspinatus, long biceps tendon, plus Infraspinatus and Subscapularis)

I'm thinking about writing a more detailed article about my recovery once i get ahead ;-)

Colm O'Reilly

Everett,

I appreciate where you're coming from, and am working with sports physios, osteos, surgeons etc. Was looking for anyone in GB who'd had experience and could offer experiential advice.

Nicholas,

No labral phatology, but the long head bicep tendon appears "frayed" in the MRI, as opposed to slender and defined. 

Petra,

Would love to hear your experience. The surgeon's letter to my GP seems to indicate that PRP or corticosteroid injections won't be sufficient. 

Oh well, plenty of core and middle splits to keep me occupied! 

Thanks all!