Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are blocks for?

Seiji

I've seen a lot of work done on them, and a lot of people practice using them.

What I don't get is what they do. I'll make some when I figure out what they are for :P

Richard Duelley

I would say overall control. I mean you have to be in total control to get into a stable handstand on top of a stack of several blocks and then to unstack them while maintaining control and form is just nuts! 8)

Seiji,

I'm not sure if you're referring to hand-balance blocks or something else. As Nifty mentioned, using one block, two blocks, or stacks of blocks helps refine HS control.

For me at least it also offers wrist relief, and I typically go to blocks after 30 minutes or so on the floor.

Richard Duelley

My goal for my spring break is to make a bunch of blocks, a handbalancing platform (ie a nice piece of wood that I can carry around with me so I have a good surface to practice on) and a pair of canes. I have to wait until I am home for spring break because my dad has all sorts of really nice tools for me to use 8) I cant wait to get everything made, going from soft carpet to spring floor to hard linoleum and even grass is driving me nuts!

[G]oing from soft carpet to spring floor to hard linoleum and even grass is driving me nuts!

Nifty,

You might try hitting the hardware store and picking up a piece of plywood. You can keep it in your closet or behind the couch, then just throw it on the carpet when you want to practice. At least it gives you a firm and consistent surface, as opposed to carpeting.

best,

jason

Richard Duelley

Thats the plan except I think I am going to get a nice sheet of hardwood, so I can sand it to a nice finish as to keep the splinters to a minimum. I might even stain /seal it to make it look nice as well. I scoped out a nice piece at a local store that was 24 inches wide and long enough for me to make both platforms (one thats just flat and one for the canes to mount to). Should be a fun little project.

Mikael Kristiansen

Handstand blocks are used for several purposes in handbalancing. First of all they give you a different grip, which a lot of people find more comfortable than doing floor as you get less flexion in the wrist because of the bent second knuckle. Many also get to utilize more power from their fingers on blocks than on floor, which also can give better control. Most handbalancers keep the index and middle finger in front of the block, the pinky and ring finger at one side, and the thumb at the other side. I do 3 fingers in front, pinky and thumb at the sides, but it is mostly personal preference.

When you get your basic handstand blocks are used a lot as preparation training toward 1 arm handstands. Block walking is a good exercise because you need to trasfer weight in the exact same way as to 1 arm to go down or up.

Blocks do not give anything special towards hand-to-hand. The grip of hand to hand is totally different, and it is the person on the bottom who do the balancing.

Blocks are easily made, im not 100% sure of the measurements we have in school, but I can check. As long as they feel comfortable in your hand and your fingers dont touch the floor when holding them they should be okay.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info!

not 100% sure of the measurements we have in school, but I can check

That would be nice because I'm going to focus on Handstands even more in my next cycle. Sounds like blocks can be quite useful.

Richard Duelley
to make a bunch of blocks

What would be the measurements of these blocks (width/height/depth)? Does that depend on the size of your hands?

You mean those at 3:05 right? (I really like this video from Ido Portal!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/portaldo#p/u/84/IFoNFD7d0Dw

jamesters measured his and posted it in his handbalancing work thread. He said his are, in inches, 3.5 width, 5 length, and 2.5 inches high. Basically its a 3x4 piece of lumber, which can be difficult to find. A 2x4 could work but it will only be 1.5 inches high so you might have to glue/screw two together to get the right height. If you get an actual piece of wood that has true measurements of 2x4 (this kind of lumber has a name but I just can remember it right now) might work, but then you might have to shave down one side to get the width where you want it. A decent table saw could do this easily but you have to have access to one 8) If I cant find a 3x4 I will try and find a true 2x4 and then rip it with my dads ridiculously nice table saw :mrgreen:

You can also glue a thick piece of rubber to the bottom to make it grippier. A sliced-up thick black yoga mat, or a piece of rubber from a stamp store.

You can use multiple blocks in a couple good drills for the one-arm HS: lateral walking and hand-to-hand stacking up and down.

• 2 weeks later...

post-10903-13531537027852_thumb.jpg

Tadaaaaaa :mrgreen:

My brand new blocks for 2 bucks

One pair is 7x3,5x2,3 inches,

the other measures 7x3,3x2,3 inches.

I covered the bottom side with a nonslipping material

They were made according to this site:

Handstand Blocks – Pieces of wood used in handstand training, with dimensions approximately 160mm x 85mm x 60mm. Handstand blocks can also be stacked on top of one another and used in handstand acts.

http://www.nica.com.au/dictionary

I tried one handstand and it gives amazing control! Even better than on parallettes although its a little bit tougher on the wrists.

Richard Duelley

I made blocks, a handstand platform and another platform with a set of canes attached last week (my spring break). Pictures to come once I get a chance to upload everything :mrgreen:

Richard Duelley

Basic platform and then one with canes :mrgreen:

2922119590068627946S425x425Q85.jpg

2.5 inch high blocks (I randomly found this wood in my parents garage, I think its oak!). I played with these a lot yesterday so they are now covered in chalk 8)

2974232680068627946S425x425Q85.jpg

Some more blocks made out of 2x4s so they are only 1.5 inches high. The plan is (when I get good enough) is to stack the 2x4 blocks on top of the 2.5 inch high pair because my fingers hit the ground if I just use a single 2x4 block. So I will have a solid base and good last block when I unstack them. I have 3 pairs of these (the wood was free so I just cut a bunch!)

2617689320068627946S425x425Q85.jpg