Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Injury Rehab - Achilles ... Bursitis

Kevin Easton

Kevin Easton

To make a long story short:

I was doing some work training in boots, running, pulling a heavy load.  While running I got a pain in my right heel.  At the time I thought it was a bruise from my boot smashing into the back of my foot as I ran.  It's been about 3 weeks now and I still have pain.

A buddy of mine is a PT and when he took a look he thinks it's Achilles tendonitis or Bursitis. 

He did a treatment of active release which was excruciating, however it made a huge improvement right away.  It is still sore and I have been doing some self massage trying to loosen it up.

The pain is a very specific spot right underneath and lateral to the point on my Calcaneus.

I don't have pain while stretching and contracting my calf - the pain comes from direct pressure on my right heel.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me on how I can deal with recovery?

Everett Carroll

Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear about the pain. Unfortunately, this is not something we can safely give suggestions about over the forum. I recommend getting a second opinion and asking your PT what else he suggests you do for recovery. 

• Upvote 1

Luke Searra

Hi Kevin,

Please also ask your PT/'s about high rep negative calf raises for achilles rehabilitation.

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Hi Kevin,

The bad news is that this is going to be a lingering injury.  It is going to require a substantial amount of time to heal and will flare back up immediately if you are imprudent.  See if you can find a good PT familiar with the eccentric protocol Luke mentioned above.

The good news is that applying heat, right on the edge of too hot for comfort, with a hot/cold pack will greatly reduce discomfort in the interim.  Note that heat is far more effective than ice for achilles tendonitis.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 6