Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oscar Riaño

Oscar Riaño

Hi guys, 

I wanted to get some information about trigger points... Lately i've been experiencing quite many trigger points in my back muscles... I am very frustrated because they are happening quite often. I have a foam roller and I use it quite frequently but yet they are still appearing here and there... I've asked some friends that have similar trainings like mine and they didn't experience any. What am I doing wrong? I have to say that i mostly have strength trainings (for maltese, iron cross, planche, etc...) and not really take a lot of time to stretch after the training or in the rest days. I've read that trigger points are more of a poison in your muscles and not really a result of overtraining. What provoques them? Is it the lack or mobility and stretch? Lack of vitamins? Lack of muscle-relaxation? What should I do to prevent their appearance? Is it possible to get rid of them forever? What should I do in the case I get a trigger point (apart from massaging the area regularly with foam roller/golf ball)? HELP :(

Thanks in advance, 

Oscar

Everett Carroll

Hi Oscar,

Sorry to hear about the nagging trigger points. I know how painful they can get! Mobilize. The manual therapy can help but it should be alongside, stretching, mobilization, joint prehab, etc. Another thing that can cause imbalances and, in turn, trigger points, is too large of a gap between your basic strength and the advanced skills you are training. 

• Upvote 3

Alessandro Mainente

When trigger points happen it is a sign of too high intensity for your current level in your training session. The current schedule it is out of your possibility. You should completely reconsider it.

• Upvote 1

Oscar Riaño
39 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

When trigger points happen it is a sign of too high intensity for your current level in your training session. The current schedule it is out of your possibility. You should completely reconsider it.

Hi Alessandro! Thanks for your answer.

I seek for really high goals, such as planche, maltese, crosses and so on with perfect form. I was currently having workout with very intense exercises. For example: maltese leans holds at the harder spot possible, iron crosses hold with a low intensity rubber etc etc...

Would it be advisable to do more repetitions of less intense exercises? Or completely reconstruct my workout? 

Thanks in advance!!

Everett Carroll

Hi Oscar, 

Adjust your schedule and exercises as much as necessary to avoid this issue from recurring. Take a back to basics approach and build back up through easier progressions. Consider This will likely mean easier exercise variations AND a reduction in volume.

The Foundation Series will guide you through proper mobility and strength progressions and help you train at an appropriate intensity. It will also help you get rid of those trigger points.  

• Upvote 2