Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle up w/o and progress

Tomer Sadot

Tomer Sadot

Hello, 

I'm new to this forum. I just started using the rings 3 months ago. I've been doing pull ups and dips on bars and parallel bars and since I got the rings,  I've been doing them on the rings. Nothing fancy,  5x5 each. 

Recently I started doing muscle ups,  so far about 4 or 5 in a row are doable. No kipping, legs together,  core tight mainly when pushing,  rings out at top position.

I was wondering whether I should replace m/u with dips and pull ups, and if not,  what would you suggest as a routine, obviously m/u generate more fatigue.

Secondly, is there any way to share videos here? I'd love to get feedback  on my movement. 

Thanks in advance! 

Tomer

Darin Phoenix

Hi Tomer, 

You can certainly share your videos here. First, you will need to upload the video to youtube and then simply copy and paste the URL.

I would love to see your form on your muscle-ups it sounds as if you are making great progress.

• Upvote 3

Tomer Sadot
11 hours ago, Darin Phoenix said:

Hi Tomer, 

You can certainly share your videos here. First, you will need to upload the video to youtube and then simply cust and paste the URL.

I would love to see your form on your muscle-ups it sounds as if you are making great progress.

Hey Darin,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I filmed this just to be able to see how it looks, let me know if the angle makes it hard to give feedback.

Luke Searra

Tomer,

Great job so far. You can improve more by making all your reps have consistent form and turn out at the top of each muscle up, as well as making sure you begin your reps just like you finish them - with straight arms and locked elbows. This is integral part of injury prevention and brachialis strengthening . 

• Upvote 1

Tomer Sadot
2 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

Tomer,

Great job so far. You can improve more by making all your reps have consistent form and turn out at the top of each muscle up, as well as making sure you begin your reps just like you finish them - with straight arms and locked elbows. This is integral part of injury prevention and brachialis strengthening . 

Thanks for the input!

Yes, this was just a test, on sets I would keep the form consistent as to ring turn outs at the top. 
As for Straightening the arms, I feel like there's a lot of of tension on my wrists when hanging using a false grip, is that normal and should I just start and finish my motions like that anyways?
BTW how does that prevent injury? just curious. 

Thanks! and thanks in advance for any further replies!

Everett Carroll

Hi Tomer,

The tension in your wrists is not something to push through. It is a sign that your joints are not quite ready for training muscle-ups. If you'd like to begin strengthening your joints and muscles to be able to train muscle-ups, I suggest our strength training courses like Foundation One. 

Foundation One is a great place to begin working on your joint mobility and your bodyweight strength so you can eventually move BEYOND the muscle-up and build incredible strength on the rings. Trust me, it pays to hold off on muscle-ups for now and focus your efforts towards more basic exercises. This will produce safer, longer lasting results. 

• Upvote 3

Tomer Sadot
19 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Tomer,

The tension in your wrists is not something to push through. It is a sign that your joints are not quite ready for training muscle-ups. If you'd like to begin strengthening your joints and muscles to be able to train muscle-ups, I suggest our strength training courses like Foundation One. 

Foundation One is a great place to begin working on your joint mobility and your bodyweight strength so you can eventually move BEYOND the muscle-up and build incredible strength on the rings. Trust me, it pays to hold off on muscle-ups for now and focus your efforts towards more basic exercises. This will produce safer, longer lasting results. 

Hi Everett,
I appreciate the remark regarding the wrists, to be clearer, the tension appears only when my arms are fully extended at the bottom, I guess it's a matter of suppleness in those joins, which is something I could work on.
Concerning Foundation One, I'm a musician studying full time. Working out has a small niche in my life right now, and is something I'm not willing to spend 200$ over... Hope this makes sense.

Julian Aldag

When you are hanging in false grip, turn your palms facing out. This take the stress off and allows you to fully extend the elbows.  Also slow down during the transition from the pull up to the dip; thats where you get the most strength benefit of muscle ups.

Tomer Sadot
13 hours ago, Julian Aldag said:

When you are hanging in false grip, turn your palms facing out. This take the stress off and allows you to fully extend the elbows.  Also slow down during the transition from the pull up to the dip; thats where you get the most strength benefit of muscle ups.

Great, thanks! I haven't seen this anywhere and had no one suggest that before. That's exactly one of those small bits I'm looking for.

• Upvote 1