Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow pain due to handstand work

Colonelstovis

Colonelstovis

After i added Handstand wall runs into my training i started suffering from pain in my elbow. It feels more like tendon/ligament pain rather than muscular pain. Handsatnd to headstand negatives also effect it. I was wondering if anybody has experienced something similar to what i have or could give me some advice. I have backed off from the specific exercises that aggrevate it but at the same time i dont want to lose the skill/strength(however meagre)that i have aquired. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

Do you have natural hyperextension in your elbows?

If you coming down slightly heavy in the wall runs versus a nice weight shift/transfer, I could see it messing your elbows up a bit.

Could just be too much too soon. Try scaling back progression wise. Slowing down the wall runs and angle you are at or going back to a static wall HS besides other support work.

I have some elbow tendon/ligament pain in my left elbow. Scaling back did allow it to feel somewhat better but it would just pop up again over time even when coming back at reduced volume.

Some elbow rehab exercises have helped. The pain still comes back after a lot of work, but it's manageable. I went on a lot of fish oil and joint complex and have looked into some exotic therapies like Adequan. This seems interesting as well http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5152.

Personally, I think the pain has gone away mostly by doing those elbow rehab exercises. It could be some shoulder imbalance causing it but I mainly think it has to do with an armbar incident last summer.

Colonelstovis

Thanks for the reply Blairbob. My elbows don't hyperextend and i'm always extra cautious with the wall runs because its essentially a momentary one arm handstand. My thinking is that its too much too soon. Also i'll try altering the angle of my wall runs, that makes sense to me. I like the link too, might have to get my hands on some. Elbow pain is a very demoralizing thing and i'm glad to hear that you have managed to master it to some extent. Thanks again dude!

After i added Handstand wall runs into my training i started suffering from pain in my elbow. It feels more like tendon/ligament pain rather than muscular pain.

Usually pain is an indication that you are being overly aggressive in your current training. Your ego says yes, but your body says no.

My recommendation is to remove the HS Wall Runs from your schedule, take a break from upper body training for one to two weeks to rest your elbows (this is a nice opportunity to focus on legs and core), and then to focus on increasing your level of basic strength prior to once more engaging in vigorous handstand work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Colonelstovis

Thanks for the advice coach. Resting and taking a break from upper body work sounds like a good idea, as much as i hate to do it(thats that ego kicking in again), i dislike elbow pain more so. Thanks again, i'll post my results. Keep up the good work.

Elbow pain like yours got pretty ridiculous for me. Simply moving my left arm sometimes would irritate it, especially when needing to spot besides some staff work.

The crippling thing has been a depreciated ability in pushing strength but it's nice to have a functional elbow.

• 2 weeks later...
Colonelstovis

Just a quick update on my progress. My elbow is free from pain and today i did my first upper body session after resting for a week. I am started at a reduced volume of work and intend to very gradually increase the workload as to prevent further injury or re-aggrevate the old one. Thanks.

Cool, most of my elbow pain is gone. However, this was due to a quick session with a chiropractor who is my friend. I'm hoping it will really change my ability to train in the upcoming months.

Basically the tendon was somewhat out of place. An interesting note is that using the elbow rehab exercise I was doing is no longer trying nor do I feel any sensation from it. I will continue the elbow rehab as prehab but it is very interesting. I could feel him sort of re-arranging things in my left arm (and yes I was quite cautious but trusting of what he was doing).