Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand issue

Baptiste Berthier

Baptiste Berthier

Hi there !

Before I know GB I started training for a solid handstand for 10 min before each of my workout (4 per week) + session on my rest day when I have some time.

But after some months I can only hold a 5" HS... Against a wall I've got a solid 1 min hold, maybe ~1min30 max but I have difficulties with the balancing part.

My question is :

How long will it take to improve my handstand (maybe to have a solid 30" HS, so I can just improve it day after day) with the Handstand Course ? (Obviously I'm not asking for a precise answer, everybody's different)

If I go with the handstand course, should I go from the beginning with some headstand practice etc... Before moving again to a handstand or should I skip these step to go with the handstand work ? I'm asking cause I read that this course is great, especially for beginners and I was wondering if going back to headstand would be a "loss of time" or not.

Last question : can I do the handstand course (Question for HS1, 2 & 3) on my rest day ?

Thanks for all, and sorry for my english.. :)

Edited by Baptiste Berthier

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Baptiste welcome to GB, usually when someone does not show:

-proper alignment 

-open shoulder

-posterior pelvic tilt

I do not suggest to continue the handstand training because for sure it is wrong.

If you think that your form it is goof I still suggest to spend the necessary time on Handstand one elements, from the first then when it is the time practice the free handstand elements.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I was in the exact same situation as you, could randomly hold a banana stand for 6-12 seconds with a solid belly to hold of 1:30 , 10rep max of belly to wall, HSPU, being frustrated with lack of progress, I purchased H1 3 days ago....advanced it to the headstand "elbows on ground sections" could barely hold 3 secs " shoulder flexibility " today got 3x12secs ......I recommend buying H1 and try day 1 see how it feels and adjust from there .

Frank Santasiero

Baptiste,

Agree everyone is different so I can only share my frustration. My stats are male age 52, very strong from a lifetime of heavy weightlifting and very inflexible probably from a lifetime of heavy lifting with no flexibility training. Tried to learn to do a handstand on my own practicing back to wall and gently kicking of with feet to balance. Improved somewhat but got stuck at around 10 second balancing act but this was only kicking from the wall. Kicking up to HS without a wall is harder and never really got beyond 3 or 4 seconds. Also, had some elbow pain so had to be careful how much I practiced. Started GB in January and have been following the HS course along with the stretching courses. Still haven't gotten to the point where I am practicing handstands with GB although part of the course was headstands which I was able to do with little problem. So getting back to you original question, I would say a long time for most adults. In my case I don't know if it will ever happen but I am pretty convinced that my original method was not working for me.

• Upvote 2