Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are handstand wall runs for strength enough?

Elisabeth Rodler

Elisabeth Rodler

Dear Community,

I am very glad I found this forum and I hope you can help me. 

I was a rhythmic gymnast for many years but retired almost 3 years ago. I have not done much exercise since then except from the basic jogging and pilates thing. However, I have started to get into handbalacing and acro lately and I have a question.

I absolutely know the movement of stalder press handstand. I have been spotted various times and I can do the move in reverse. However, I lack strength tremendously.
I go to gymnastics practice every other day for 1 1/2 hours at my local gym, we do basic things like handsprings and tucks and also stretch. I am still very flexible, all splits, pancake, etc. 

I thought I could use the last 15 minutes for handstand practice. I have searched the forum and also the internet a lot and found that probably the best exercise for the stalder press are handstand wall runs. 
So my plan is to do 10 controlled negative presse to remind me of the motion and then do 10 minutes of handstand wall runs for strength (rest as needed, but 10 minutes in total).

Would this be a good plan? Once you have the flexibility and motion of the movement down (which I definitely do) all that is missing is the strength to press, right? So the wall runs seem perfect!

Any tips on how often I should do it? ist 3x a week for 10 minutes okay if I do not really do any other max strength?

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

HI Elisabeth, for sure Coach Sommer noted how this exercise improved the strength on press to handstand but probably he was referring to people who already have the press to handstand. my suggestion here it is to build up specifically the strength you need with Handstand 2 course.

• Upvote 4

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Elisabeth Rodler,

I am not a former gymnast but I would say that wall runs definitely helped me gain presshandstands. I also strongly agree with Alessandro that Handstand Two Course specifically works on your presshandstand. 

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

In terms of tumbling skills they help to support one arm on the cartwheel and roundoff development.

• Upvote 1

GoldenEagle

Specifically speaking and for anyone that does not know... Handstand wall runs develops the external rotor cuff muscles.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

John Kiggundu

@Elisabeth Rodler I am being presumptuous here because I am no former gymnast and you obviously have trained handstands for way longer than I have. However, with respect to the stalder press to handstand, there is a lot more than simply being able to do the wall runs for 10 minutes.

You may be extremely flexible but with an active mobility that might need some improvement. At the beginning of the press to handstand course, we have a few drills that test your compression and pressing strength. I doubt that you would be able to do them on your first try. These drills I believe are a good start before focusing on the end movement itself. The H2 course is dedicated to mastering the press to handstand move.

But if you decide that all you need are wall runs, then by all means go for it.