Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

one arm pushup

Philip Papandrea

Joshua Naterman

Is this the way you are saying a strict OAP has to be done? If so, I can do it. It's easier to take he opposite foot off. I used to do these all the time before I found this site in a sad attempt to impress the ladies.

Definitely not the ONLY way. This is the most balanced. The version that people are talking about is a bodyweight one arm tricep press, and has a very different focus.

There are videos of girls doing multiple reps of the one arm one leg push ups, so I am quite sure we are all capable of eventually building up to those.

The triceps version... I don't know, but like anything else time and patience will be the key. The triceps version isn't going to do a whole lot for the chest, obviously, but would probably be a pretty good movement to use for building powerful elbow extension. Right now I can say that just doing the two handed triceps push ups both slow and fast( alternating days) makes a massive, massive difference in how muscle ups feel. They just start becoming quite easy after a while.

Jonathan Nasman

Slizz: would you mind pointing to a video of good form tricep pushups? I searched and just found 10-20 different variations, and not sure what exactly you're referring to.

I agree that these would help a lot in the muscleup, and would love to build up that strength.

Is this the way you are saying a strict OAP has to be done? If so, I can do it. It's easier to take he opposite foot off. I used to do these all the time before I found this site in a sad attempt to impress the ladies.

Definitely not the ONLY way. This is the most balanced. The version that people are talking about is a bodyweight one arm tricep press, and has a very different focus.

There are videos of girls doing multiple reps of the one arm one leg push ups, so I am quite sure we are all capable of eventually building up to those.

The triceps version... I don't know, but like anything else time and patience will be the key. The triceps version isn't going to do a whole lot for the chest, obviously, but would probably be a pretty good movement to use for building powerful elbow extension. Right now I can say that just doing the two handed triceps push ups both slow and fast( alternating days) makes a massive, massive difference in how muscle ups feel. They just start becoming quite easy after a while.

Hi Slizz

trying to understand the "correct" way

is this the girl video you are refering to ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX0zHXoO3pk

for the triceps version is it suppose to be the same with the elbow in and going backward in the descent stage instead of outward (side)?

Joshua Naterman

That is one version. Another version is with the elbow tucked into the side (have not seen a girl do this, believe I have seen a guy do this one), and a third version would be with both feet on the ground and the hand somewhere under the center of the chest (midline of the body, really). I wouldn't even think about a one leg version until I was highly proficient with the two leg version of the triceps OApushup.

These are all really, really hard and they focus on different muscles. The onein th elinked video, with the arm away from the torso, is focusing on the chest. The arm tucked in is fairly even across the prime movers but focuses much more on scapular movement when done correctly (retraction and protraction at the bottom and top, respectively), while the hand under the chest focuses on triceps.

One would be very foolish not to work on all three. It doesn't matter if you have equal proficiency, it matters that you work towards that goal. Not doing so will leave you with imbalances. These are great exercises to alternate with heavier two arm presses like planche push ups, bench press, heavy dips, etc.

Just to point out something in that video. Look at her non-pushing arm and how it is bracing. Makes a huge difference in being able to do it. This is the only version I am able to do. Strong chest and weak tri's.

Joshua Naterman
Just to point out something in that video. Look at her non-pushing arm and how it is bracing. Makes a huge difference in being able to do it. This is the only version I am able to do. Strong chest and weak tri's.

Great, great eye. I totally missed that!

I focus the most on the elbow in version, as I need the most work on scapular mobility and strength. 1-2x per week is plenty for a long time in my case :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but could this be the first legit legs together one arm push-up? That's not me btw. Starts at 1:05.

MlRCAJbwjMs

In the video he is turning quite a bit to the side which shifts the focus away from the triceps. Impressive but not quite a perfectly straight body.

Quick Start Test Smith

Yeah, not quite "perfect" but still very impressive. A damn bit better than I could do without falling on my face! :wink:

It's the closest I have seen to the perfect oap. I actually thought Jim Bathurst's oaps on his first video attempt were harder because it looked to be a one arm tiger push-up.

Joshua Naterman
It's the closest I have seen to the perfect oap. I actually thought Jim Bathurst's oaps on his first video attempt were harder because it looked to be a one arm tiger push-up.

Yes, Kavadlo has a pretty nice OApushup. Haters just haven't tried it, so they don't actually know how hard that is. I can do a pretty nice one with my feet spread slightly more than shoulder width but it is super, super hard.

What Bathurst is trying is insane, it's basically a one arm triceps extension with something like 60-70% BW. That is nuts.

• 5 months later...
Andreas Magneshaugen Ullerud

I just thought i'll share this exercise, if someone think it's worthwhile that is good. The exercise I thought of is basically a RTO (rings turned out) OAP.

• 1 year later...

i learned one arm pushups from beastskills . it is easy when feet wider than shoulders but  you should do them with arm in position to increase intensity. it will build lean chest. my triceps was paining after i did.