Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

one arm pushup

Philip Papandrea

Philip Papandrea

Is there any place for the one arm pushup in gymnastic conditioning? I know in the book one arm pullups are included and it was said they really improve two arm work so I was wondering if one arm pushups would be a worthwhile endeavor or if i'm better off sticking with two arm work. Right now i'm doing ppp on the floor since i can't perform them on the rings yet.

Joshua Naterman

Well, I don't know what Coach thinks of all that, but I think it's worthwhile, and I am working towards them.

I do want to qualify that, and say that it is ONLY worth working towards a perfect one arm push up. IF you're doing that legs spread twisty hip crap then no, they have no place. With a straight body, feet together, yes, they definitely have a place. Done that way, they are so difficult that I have yet to see them on Youtube. They CAN be done, there is one video where this guy does 3 reps with his feet only about two feet apart and his body stays perfectly straight. VERY impressive. Anyhow, the reason I think they are worthwhile is that that particular form turns it into a 70% BW tricep press with one arm. That's ridiculous. That kind of tricep and shoulder power and stability would enable you to do a perfect straight bar muscle up and would probably help a good bit with HSPU.

There's also the fact that NO ONE does them right, and they are super cool. When someone claims to be able to do a one arm push up and you bust those out and say "that?" They'll lower their head and say "... no..." and walk away, unless they're one of the rare people who want to learn, in which case they'll ask you how to do it. Otherwise they will look at you jealously and talk in a quiet voice to their friends across the gym about how he can do them too, and even if they're different they're still hard, and that you just think you're SOOOoOOOOoooOOoo COOL! but really you're a loser. Or maybe he'll just turn into a Polar bear and start drinking Coca Cola, who knows?! Life is crazy.

I think the guy on Beastskills has a tutorial on how to do those pushups. His feet are still spread, but otherwise it's a normal pushup.

• Upvote 1

Nick Van Bockxmeer

personally I think continuing through bilateral pressing progressions would be of more benefit.

It's not really that difficult of a movement.

Now that one arm, opposite one leg pushup ala Pavel is more difficult.

I'm not sure of the carryover effect towards gymnastics by training it. It's good for wooing babes.

Joshua Naterman

I'm not sure of the carryover effect towards gymnastics by training it. It's good for wooing babes.

I am willing to put 100 dollars down that you don't know one person who can put a single perfect one arm push up on video. It is very, very, very hard.

If you can't see the benefit of excellent tricep strength and prehab, I don't know how to help lol! I am ot saying this will help with any particular skill besides a muscle up, but it is an excellent accessory exercise for general strength and joint integrity.

personally I think continuing through bilateral pressing progressions would be of more benefit.

I am not suggesting that bilateral progressions be abandoned, and in fact they are a large part of preparing for the one arm push up, I am simply saying that adding in the one arm push up work will help a LOT. There are very few things we do here that work bent arm tricep strength to the same degree. The only thing I can think of is full ROM HSPU, and even then there is a very large shoulder component. The next closest thing is the Russian Dips. I'm not saying that's bad! I'm just saying that I see an area where I think we could improve an already outstanding program. I guess in the end it shouldn't matter to me who believes what, all I can say is that I think it is worthwhile, the work is benefiting me in multiple positions, mostly manna work and the muscle up.

In the end, I think what will happen is that in a few years when I have these down pat and can do far more advanced work than the other non-professional gymnasts here, then my ideas will be worth more lol! In the meantime, it's just some interesting food for thought.

• Upvote 1

I once asked on a post once which is harder, 1-arm push-ups or planche. Apparently planche push-ups are much harder, and once you start getting to straddle variations there is carryover to 1-arm push-ups and you should be able to knock out a few. The reverse isn't true in the slightest. I would have thought the planche would be a better progression as it hits much more muscle groups.

Philip Papandrea

Thanks guys. I can definitely see the benefits that slizzardman is talking about and I dont believe a true one arm pushup is easy by any means but I think longshanks hit it on the head for me. I was wondering if the one arm pushup would fit into the progression towards the planche pushup but im probably better off just working the progressions in coaches book and if I ever get to doing planche pushups i'll probably be closer to doing a one armer versus the other way around.

Joshua Naterman
I once asked on a post once which is harder, 1-arm push-ups or planche. Apparently planche push-ups are much harder, and once you start getting to straddle variations there is carryover to 1-arm push-ups and you should be able to knock out a few. The reverse isn't true in the slightest. I would have thought the planche would be a better progression as it hits much more muscle groups.

I can't imagine there's much carryover from one to the other, because the muscle groups are substantially different. The biggest difference would be that the shoulder stability would definitely carry over. Planche push ups are much less intense on the triceps, but everything else is working harder.

If you're just interested in progressing through gymnastic bodies, I really don't think the one arm push up is necessary to train, but if you want to achieve it you should be putting work in there as well as the planche progressions. You can either put in a few years on the planche and a year or two on the OAP, or you can combine the training and achieve them more or less together. In the end, it's about how much you care about timelines.

I do think it's a mistake not to work towards the OAP, starting with slow full push ups and then close grips, then unevens, then assisted OAP, then OAP, but that's my opinion. I won't make solid claims until I see how it works out for me.

Joshua Naterman

Yes. It's an intelligent progression, and the final movement requires phenomenal elbow conditioning! For anyone in combat sports, this should all be a requirement. "This all" meaning gymnasticbodies workouts along with the one arm push up and a few other specialized exercises.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot and am also very excited at the prospect of one day performing such a rare movement! How far into the progression are you, and how are you finding it?

I am willing to put 100 dollars down that you don't know one person who can put a single perfect one arm push up on video. It is very, very, very hard.

I don't KNOW, but I think Ross Enamait might be able to do it. He can do so much crazy stuff that it wouldn't surprise me! :D

This reminds me of when I asked my coach (karate) if he could do a one arm PU. He said "yeah!" in the "do'h"-way, and he then spread he feet as wide as he could, one arm on his back, the other far from his body and did a 1/5 ROM OAPU. Not laughing was very hard... :lol:

Joshua Naterman

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Ross could, he is in superb condition. However, unless Blair's a close friend of Ross in real life, I don't think that would help him win the 100 dollars. :)

I am willing to put 100 dollars down that you don't know one person who can put a single perfect one arm push up on video. Many people have a different idea what a one arm pushup is. Whether it's with the hand under the sternum or for example right hang under right shoulder or above right shoulder to the side of right ear.

I could use the Ben Franklin right now, really but I don't know Ross E.

Honestly, it depends on goal training. For gymnastics, one arm push/pull-up is not worth spending a lot of time on, imo. Some time on, yes. Especially as Steve Low seems to think One Arm Pullup is good elbow prep for Cross work. One Arm HS is valuable since there is quite a lot of skills that pass through one arm. Cirques are basically one arm pullup negatives and 1-Arm PU are in GB.

Joshua Naterman

Schlaff: Even in the naked warrior, he's not doing the one arm push up as I describe, which is how it's shown in convict conditioning. It's a much, much different movement because your chest comes down to where your sternum is brushing your first knuckles, and then you push back up. It sounds crazy, I know, and that's the point! That style push up is essentially all triceps at the bottom, where the one armers you see in naked warrior and everywhere else have the hand out to the side of the chest, and are not bending the arm much beyond 90 degrees.

I just realized that an easier way to explain this would be a one arm "diamond" or "close grip" push up. Your sternum is centered on your hand the whole time, from top to bottom. When I see someone do that, I'll be massively impressed. That's what I'll be developing over the next few years.

Blair: I agree, spending a whole bunch of time on the one arm progressions would be silly, unless for whatever reason that's all you care about achieving! I DO think they have a very solid place in training here, just not moreso than anything else. I'd certainly give them a close back seat to planche work and handstand work. It's certainly helping me!

• 1 year later...
Andreas Magneshaugen Ullerud

Im just starting to work towards the OAP with legs together and I'm using some videos of Jim from beast skills as a "goal" of sorts. Im sure there are people here on the forum which have seen them already but i i'll post them anyway. When i'm finally am strong enough, i was flirting with the idea of doing them on rings with feet elevated, would that be a good idea. Yesterday i tried just supporting myself in a OAP position and it was hard enough.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xclusr ... h-up_sport

Slizzardman, is this your idea of a perfect one arm push up? I can see how would help with the muscle up.

This is the variation which i'm working towards.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

Before I comment directly, I just want to say that if you aren't focusing first and foremost on true perfect slow push ups, slow triceps push ups, thoracic mobility, upper thoracic/cervical extension, slow scapular work (traps, serratus, etc) and slow straight arm straddle HS presses then you probably shouldn't be trying this right now.

The above work belongs as a daily component of your workouts. 1 set of each is plenty, this should be happening every day and should only take about 30-40s per set. Maybe 10-15 minutes total.

Having said all that, the second one is more like what you want but I strongly recommend you work on this on the floor and not bother at all until you can do 6-10 slow, slow, slow tricep push ups. 5s down, 5s up each rep. Preferably with 1-2" hand and foot elevation so that elbows/forearms NEVER touch the ground. Books and 2x4's work great for hand/foot elevation.

If all of the rest is in place, a few things will happen...

1) You will make excellent progress in all areas.

2) You will be able to perform muscle ups about as easily as regular pull ups

3) You should be ok to start working these on a 30-45 degree incline. I DO suggest working these on an incline and slowly decreasing the incline. The easiest way to do this will probably be with an adjustable incline bench, but you can get creative and use stairs or whatever. It may take a bit of planning, but this is the correct way to do this.

Whatever you do, moderate challenge + high frequency + low volume per workout will give you the best results on this particular movement. It is extremely high load and is also fairly high skill.

Andreas Magneshaugen Ullerud

Thanks slizzardman for taking your time writing a reply, even i wash't specifically asking for it :D . You should change your username to 21st Century Training Jesus, or something similar (bad attempt at humor? :oops: ). It never seem to amaze me, what you and pretty much anyone on this forum knows when is comes to training. I guess i'm lucky to have found this "goldmine" of information, and all honor to Coach Sommer for that.

When it comes to my one arm push up training, i can't say i have started yet. What do you think of the idea of Assisted OAP, and when i say that mean one hand laying completely flat on a bench or something similar while pressing with the other. I planned to use it to build up my pressing strength to where i could do OAP for reps with about 30-40 centimeters of space between my feet. Then i planned to basically gradually close the distance between my feet with time.

I have one question that would be very grateful if slizzardman or anyone else could give me some good advice on, regarding my chest muscle imbalance. Would the one arm push be a good exercise for fixing this and if so, how much volume should i use?

When it comes to the OAP relevance in gymnastics i don't have much to contribute, but i personally why wouldn't especially if you are capable of doing them on the rings, with your feet parallel to the rings or elevated.

Regards, Andreas.

Joshua Naterman
Thanks slizzardman for taking your time writing a reply, even i wash't specifically asking for it :D . You should change your username to 21st Century Training Jesus, or something similar (bad attempt at humor? :oops: ). It never seem to amaze me, what you and pretty much anyone on this forum knows when is comes to training. I guess i'm lucky to have found this "goldmine" of information, and all honor to Coach Sommer for that.

When it comes to my one arm push up training, i can't say i have started yet. What do you think of the idea of Assisted OAP, and when i say that mean one hand laying completely flat on a bench or something similar while pressing with the other. I planned to use it to build up my pressing strength to where i could do OAP for reps with about 30-40 centimeters of space between my feet. Then i planned to basically gradually close the distance between my feet with time.

I have one question that would be very grateful if slizzardman or anyone else could give me some good advice on, regarding my chest muscle imbalance. Would the one arm push be a good exercise for fixing this and if so, how much volume should i use?

When it comes to the OAP relevance in gymnastics i don't have much to contribute, but i personally why wouldn't especially if you are capable of doing them on the rings, with your feet parallel to the rings or elevated.

Regards, Andreas.

Thanks! We happen to have a rare combination of great athletes with fairly reasonable egos and a willingness/eagerness to share, thanks to the environment that Coach has created here :)

OAP can definitely help, and you WILL want to do them spotted for sure. Kind of like an off-center regular push up, but keep the working arm at the shoulder and not under the chest. Under the chest you just get triceps, which isn't going to help you with your chest imbalance. You will find that this works better with your legs further apart, and better still with one leg off the ground.

Set up is like this:

Right arm is working arm, so left foot is support foot. Right leg is off the ground, you are in a straddle. left hand is providing whatever spot you need. You will feel your chest, serratus anterior, and shoulders on the working side as well as your core all working like crazy.

Keep the spot reasonable, don't be a superhero! Over time you'll get stronger. Do less on the strong side than the weak side, but practice on both. In other words, intentionally do less than you think you should for your strong side until things feel even.

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew Komarnyckyj
Before I comment directly, I just want to say that if you aren't focusing first and foremost on .... upper thoracic/cervical extension, slow scapular work (traps, serratus, etc)

Hi Slizzardman, do you mind telling me what specific exercises you do regarding the above? Many thanks, Andy K

They're featured in convict conditioning...

But going by the guys other moves he later admitted were hypothetical- I'm skeptical as to if he actually did any.

Regards, Andreas.

Thanks! We happen to have a rare combination of great athletes with fairly reasonable egos and a willingness/eagerness to share, thanks to the environment that Coach has created here :)

OAP can definitely help, and you WILL want to do them spotted for sure. Kind of like an off-center regular push up, but keep the working arm at the shoulder and not under the chest. Under the chest you just get triceps, which isn't going to help you with your chest imbalance. You will find that this works better with your legs further apart, and better still with one leg off the ground.

Set up is like this:

Right arm is working arm, so left foot is support foot. Right leg is off the ground, you are in a straddle. left hand is providing whatever spot you need. You will feel your chest, serratus anterior, and shoulders on the working side as well as your core all working like crazy.

Keep the spot reasonable, don't be a superhero! Over time you'll get stronger. Do less on the strong side than the weak side, but practice on both. In other words, intentionally do less than you think you should for your strong side until things feel even.

Is this the way you are saying a strict OAP has to be done? If so, I can do it. It's easier to take he opposite foot off. I used to do these all the time before I found this site in a sad attempt to impress the ladies.