Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A twisting conundrum

Paul Wallbridge

Paul Wallbridge

Hi,

i have been back at gymnastics now for a few months and have started learning twisting - fronts and backs.

I realised tonight that my front full twist goes to the right (same direction as my round off and barani) but my back full goes to the left. Now, I understand this will be a problem if I do any more complicated manoeuvres in the future if I don't fix it now.

my issue is that both feel equally comfortable and I have never done twisting before, so I have no true preference. I can almost complete a 1 1/2 twist both forwards and backwards, and can do a complete double turn in both directions from a standing jump.

my gut feel is that I should relearn my back twisting direction from basics (eg, half twist right after landing and then build it slowly into my rotation). I never did drills, my first attempt at a full layout back was broadly successful so I just carried on from there. Is there a strong convention either way on which one should be dominant?

thanks for any help! I know this is particularly important for a number of vaulting moves.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Paul,

If you put your left hand down first, then you should twist to the left (counterclockwise).

Paul Wallbridge

Thanks Jeffrey. 

I had meant my round off was twisting right. I've read a few articles and some said your twist should be the opposite to round off, so as you say I should twist left. So, to fix things I need to rework my front layout full. I think I had gone wrong because my barani has always been the same way as my round off and I just built off that.

hopefully it won't be too much work!