Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Physical Therapy or another profession?/

Christopher Denzer

Christopher Denzer

Hi Community:

I jacked my back up a month ago. Deadlifting too heavy after not doing it for a long, long time. Rookie mistake. As a result, I have had to take time off, ease up on or modify a lot of the work (particularly Core and Thoracic work) until it heals. I was doing some light Thoracic stretching today and, moving from position to position, something occurred to me. Deadlifting the way I did was definitely stupid but I wonder if I have just been generally moving incorrectly for a long time. I mean, compensating for weaknesses and imbalances, using the wrong muscle groups to do things, and basically just doing shit wrong. I have been a Crossfitter and martial artist for a long, long time, but I don't think those disciplines did anything to correct my f'ed up movement patterns. They weird thing is, my peers always looked at me as the coordinated, athletically gifted one. 

If someone like me, who is very active and considers themselves pretty knowledgeable about physiology and sports and movement in general, is still making mistakes and f'ing themselves up, so many more people out there must be doing the same thing on a daily basis. I would like to do something that helps people get out of these flawed and potentially dangerous movement patterns

I've never considered a profession in medicine or physical therapy before, simply because they didn't seem to fit what I was interested in. Being a personal trainer doesn't really appeal to me either, nor does being a Crossfit coach. The last thing I want to do is work at a globo-gym, too! 

I suppose physical therapy is the closest thing to what I am interested in, but I wonder if there are other, legitimate professions that deal strictly with helping people overcome poor movement patterns and regain mobility and strength. I love what Gymnastic Bodies has taught me and opened up my eyes to, in terms of what strength and mobility is. Does anyone know of any professions or courses of study that seem attractive?

Ryan Bailey
1 hour ago, Christopher Denzer said:

I suppose physical therapy is the closest thing to what I am interested in, but I wonder if there are other, legitimate professions that deal strictly with helping people overcome poor movement patterns and regain mobility and strength

Hi Christopher,

As a physical therapist, I can say if you choose physical therapy you will find yourself neck deep in what you described; addressing movement patterns to regain mobility and strength. I see you are located in the United States, so keep in mind the 7 years of full time study after high school (under graduate and graduate work) to become a licensed physical therapist. 

Best of luck on your journey,

Ryan 

• Upvote 1

Darin Phoenix

Hi Christopher, 

As you said there is always the possibility of being a Physiotherapist or an Exercise Physiologist. I am not sure why you would dismiss the idea of being a personal trainer or a CrossFit coach. These are probably the two professions where you will be able to come into contact with the most amount of people you could possibly make a difference to. 

These are the people on the front lines of Fitness, having people that have the knowledge and passion in regards to correct movement is where the fight will be won. 

A piece of paper does not necessarily make you an expert there are plenty of examples of medical professionals that have substandard knowledge of human movement and the opposite is true there are also lots of examples of trainers and coaches who are doing a wonderful job. 

Whichever decision you make it will be up to you and your level of passion and commitment that determines how many people you can positively effect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Denzer

Well said, Darin. I didn't consider being a Crossfit coach or personal trainer because, frankly, in my area (NYC) the market is saturated with coaches much younger than me, at 47. Of course, people of quality always rise to the top of their profession, but I was looking for professions I had maybe not thought of.   

Darin Phoenix

Experience is an asset. At 47 years young you possibly could have a greater understanding of the consequences of incorrect technique. I know that in the book the "Talent Code" they mention that the best coaches are the ones who have accumulated decades of experience. Best of luck with whatever decision that you make the passion that you seem to have will definitely assist you on whatever path you decide.

• 11 months later...
Nathaniel McAdoo

@Darin Phoenix what are the steps, for those who are looking for a future in the coaching area, to become a GB "coach" and/or affiliate? I am currently a senior in high school and am intrigued by the possibility of opening a gym after college (also in love with GB). Are there any options to extend this into a career?