Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Modifying training to accommodate asymmetrically strong legs

Christopher Adrian Clough

Christopher Adrian Clough

My left leg is significantly stronger than my right. As a reference, on any given day I can do 3-4 one legged squats on the side of a box on my left leg, and 0-1 squats on my right leg (butt all the way down to my heels). (Here is a picture I found on the internet of the movement I'm talking about (without the dumbells): 1-leg-squat.jpg

What are your thoughts on doing an unequal amount of reps per leg (where this is possible; e.g. the Cossack squat) in order to counter this imbalance? Is there a given preferred ratio? Should I play around a bit until I find something that seems to work? Or will this go away after a while automatically even without doing an unequal amount of movements per leg? 

Thanks! 

• Upvote 1

Hi Christopher, 

Having one stronger side is very common. Through my experience, I have the same with my right leg being very dominant. With my GST training I work my weaker leg slower and do add in a few extra reps and it has helped me hugely. The GB program will pull out your imbalances as well as help you balance the body so don't go overboard.;)

• Upvote 1