Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting Started as an Older Man

Connor Christophe

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Peter,

It's great to have you on board! Please let us know if you have any questions as you begin GST. We are more than happy to help!

• Like 1

Nick Murray

Just as a bit of inspiration for us oldies: my parents came to visit me in Canberra a few months ago. I showed Dad the parallel bars I had in the garage, and he wanted to try them out. He couldn't quite jump up to a support, so I helped him.

He started doing a swinging drill he used to do in his gymnastics classes at school: swing the legs up between the bars, as the legs come down do a dip  with the arms, and as the legs come up behind push up to a support, then repeat. I'm not sure what this is called, but he was very clearly enjoying himself.

Dad is 83, and the last time he was on parallel bars was at high school in 1947.

....there is hope for us "oldies" yet!

• Like 2

Winter Phoenix

Hi Peter, 

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community from a fellow Aussie! We love following peoples progress and hearing their different stories so please keep us updated and if you need any further assistance with anything then we are always here to help!

• Like 2

Frank Santasiero

Connor,

I am curious as to what you have in mind when you talk about beginning in gymnastics. I came to GST to help me progress in gymnastics. I am also a late starter at 52, although not as old as you. Over the last two years I have learned that gymnastics is really hard for adults to learn. Most of us have major mobility issues, connective tissues that are not as strong as they once were and fears (thankfully) of performing certain skills. GST is an awesome program to help you with mobility and preparing the body for any type of athletic movement. That being said there is a certain amount of risk that an older adult will incur if they start learning gymnastics like the kids do. Fortunately my injuries have been confined to tendonitis in elbows and wrists and a few minor muscle strains. I saw a YouTube video of a man over the age of 60 perform a round off back handspring on a gymnastics floor. You can google Lee Mowatt if you want to see this. He did however hurt himself pretty badly rebounding from a round off.