Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting Started as an Older Man

Connor Christophe

Connor Christophe

I'm 68 years old, recently retired and interested in gymnastics. I've lifted weights most of my life but never tried any gymnastics. Has anyone else started later in life? How did you manage, what would your main piece of advice be to an older man learning gymnastics? Thank you.

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christophe, for your age the first goal it is to restore range of motion and mobility, prevent the natural tendency of the body of losing strength and muscles.my personal suggestion due to your age it is a testing period in order to evalutate your limitations. for this reason Fundamentals should be your starting point.

• Upvote 3

Bob Hagan 18892

Wow I have a similar question and I am 56.  I like the idea of the movement, mobility, joint health and overall strength gains that GST offers but I am not sure becoming a gymnast is practical for me at this point of my life.  Are there others who follow these courses for similar goals without getting heavily into the gymnastic activities? If not should I look elsewhere to achieve my goals?  It certainly seems to me that gymnast do accomplish these goals better than others.

• Upvote 1

Darin Phoenix

Hi Bob, 

The exact same advice that Alessandro gave to Connor applies to you. You have arrived at the perfect place if you are looking for a program that balances strength, mobility, joint health, and movement. It is not a gymnastic program it is a strength and conditioning program based on Gymnastic movements. Fundamentals would be an excellent starting point on your journey. It is an introduction to our methodology of training designed to diagnose areas of your body that may require strengthening or mobilization. In regards to your question about your age, the program is designed to be accessible to all ages and experience levels.

We look forward to you joining us and assisting you on your fitness journey.

• Upvote 1

Bob Hagan 18892

Thanks I got started today.  I have a combination of foundations, handstand one and stretch.  I'm using the coach's recommendation but was thinking to maybe take the handstand portion out and pick that up later.  Do you have any thoughts on this?  By the way the new programming is awesome as I purchased these a while back and the new format is way more user friendly.  

Pauline Taube

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community!

How are you doing with the Fundamentals course? I'd recommend to work your way through this course before adding the Handstand portion. This way you allow yourself to discover weaknesses and imbalances before moving onto Foundation and Handstand One. Once you've completed the Fundamentals you can follow Coach Sommer's recommend schedule including the Handstand course. 

Glad you are enjoying the new format. Please keep us posted on your progress here :) 

I started late. I'm turning 54 this summer. It's been a real life changer! When I started I did a little (10 minutes) every day. I did this to build a habit just like taking care of my hygiene. If I could redo it I would have put more time into mobility work than strenght.

if you don't have it, get the Fundamentals course to start off with.

• Upvote 7

Hi @Connor Christophe and @Bob Hagan 18892. Welcome to the GB Community. Yes you guys came to the right place. I agree with Alessandro, Darin, Pauline and Mats. First things first, you need to evaluate yourself to see what your capabilities are and to test your current limits. Best way to do this is to start with the Fundamentals Course. Correcting mobility deficits to be able to go back to normal range of motion should be your first priority. We hope to hear more from your progress guys. :)

• Upvote 2

John Kiggundu

Great idea @Connor Christophe

Judging from what I've witnessed in my own body as someone that's been working at GST since Oct 2013 is that the age of the athlete doesn't matter as much as how well or badly (albeit unintentionally) the person has treated his/her body in the intervening years prior to beginning GST. Any legacy injuries should be taken into consideration as GST is a total body exercise regimen that is very good at identifying strength and mobility deficits (mostly mobility) and injuries that have not healed will be a limiting factor in most exercises.

I would try to read as much on the forums as possible, particularly the posts that talk about improving mobility in those areas where you perceive to have deficits of any sort. And this pretty much applies to anyone—regardless of age—that is considering GST.

Bottom line: Give it a go and see how things go. There will be so much you'll learn as you go along. Might consider "investing" in a good stall bar if you have the space to install one in your home.

• Upvote 1

Bob Hagan 18892

Thanks for the advice.  Definitely want to invest in a stall bar but Im living in Japan and have had a hard time finding one. 

I’m 64 and entered the program 9 months ago. I have a background in gymnastics in high school and martial arts and yoga since then.

My advice is to go slow and be consistent. This program, especially in the initial phases, is designed to condition the body for gymnastics skills later. Restructuring the supporting and connective tissue takes time, especially at our age. Measurable progress will be slow, but don’t get discouraged and, even more important, don’t get impatient. If you don’t allow adequate rest between the exercises, your body wont heal completely and you will risk chronic injury and pain.

We’re coming into this program with years more of wear and tear than the young folks are, so you might have to accept that some old injuries may always limit your progress. But a little progress is better than going the other direction. Just gaining and maintaining mobility is worth the effort this program demands.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Connor Christophe

Thank you very much for the advice. Is there a place to start a training log or journal here? That would keep my progress in one place, easy to keep track of you know :)

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Connor,

Once you are enrolled in a course you will have access to your 'Workout History'. Here you can log each of your workouts as well as take notes on any exercises. These notes will always be available for you to reference further down the line.

this thread is great, I especially like what Darin said as for me its not about learning to do gymnastics rather using gymnastics to improve strength and mobility.

Im 51, started a couple years ago but have only recently in the last 6 months really committed to daily practice and i'm finding it slow but steady. 

I want to stay mobile to enjoy my life as I get older, and any improvements will be a bonus. Some of my friends have had to give up their horse riding due to hurting knees and hips. i dont know what I would do if that happened to me, (how do people live without horse riding !) . 

And some of my girlfriends  are not able to do up a back zipper  on a dress, so their choice of clothes is dictated by their lack of mobility- imagine that !!

Wouldn't it be great though if some of us older ones can go from nothing to being able to do a handstand- that's what I'm aiming for.

Would love to follow your progress= perhaps we should have a forum for the 50+ :)

• Upvote 3

Connor, just noted you were asking for advice not our story !

I would say do at least something everyday and measure your progress against yourself not anyone else. and enjoy it, its meant to be fun 

Bob Hagan 18892

Love the idea of the 50+ forum :).  I was walking with my wife last night (54) and we were talking about how she now has to help her mother clean because of mobility issues.  Wake up call!  Definitely believe our goals are different than those under 50 but I still want to do that hand stand.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lucy Wilkins said:

And some of my girlfriends  are not able to do up a back zipper  on a dress, so their choice of clothes is dictated by their lack of mobility- imagine that !!

I hear you. After two shoulder reconstructions a few years ago, I was at the shops buying a shirt and, because of the lack of shoulder internal and external rotation, couldn't get the shirt off after trying it on. I was stuck about half way and couldn't move either arm. I had to call the sales girl over to untangle me. So embarrassing, but funny at the same time.

50 in a few months. GB has changed my life, and especially my shoulders!

I am especially interested in an over-50 forum. I work in age management medicine and focus on optimizing health and mobility in the older person.

Laurie Donaldson

Hello to the plus-50 crowd! 58 years old here. I am on my second week of F1 and the three stretch series. The stretch series made me realize just how tight EVERYTHING had become even though I have been weightlifting for the last 4 years (or maybe because of that).  I have to laugh at some of my attempts at the stretches - sometimes I think my hips are going to snap off. At other times, I am surprised I have as much mobility as I do. And those calf raises? I thought they were easy until I could barely push my heels to the ground for three days after! I love everything about this though. I was a little concerned about losing muscle that I had built up over the years, but moving through these programs is using muscles that were never activated lifting weights, and giving a break to some that have been overused (hamstrings especially). I also love the slow, incremental progress - it feels right. 

Luke Searra

50+ guys you are an inspiration to us all! Keep  being beasts!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 5 months later...
Peter Marshall

Hi I'm Peter Marshall, 60 year old Australian Male. For the last 40 years I have been lamenting the fact that gymnastics is not easily available to adults in my country. Though I didn't have much gymnastic opportunity as a child either, have always been active in sport, mostly distance running, though as a Masters track and field athlete competed in the decathlon in my mid forties. Pole vault was my favourite event because of the gymnastic ability required. I still run distance but am not active in the other track and field events. My oldest son, who I started on the pole vault at age 7, has been recently encouraging and challenging me on mobility and strength moves such as found in gymnastic training. I can still just outrun him (he is 29 now) over 5 ks and would love to perform the GST as well as him. It is possible, but matching my son is not the goal. The goal is first increased mobility and 2nd increased strength, plus the joy of working out with my adult kids.

I will purchase my first course today, Handstand 1. I absolutely know I should start with fundamentals, then foundations, but my wall assisted H/S is pretty good, so I'm too excited not to continue with this skill. If I am impressed with the HS1 course I will then proceed to Fundamentals or Foundations. To date I have been receiving advice from coach Luke.

The 50 + forum idea has my support. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1