Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gap in top rungs of Stall Bars

Marcus Chen

I'm looking to get a set of stall bars and wondering what people advise about having rungs going all the way up and down vs. having a gap of a couple rungs at the top. I've been searching the forum and am having trouble finding a definitive answer as people seem to be doing fine with both kinds of stall bars.

I'm trying to look (far) ahead at what kinds of exercises I will need it for. I could see exercises like Russian Leg Lifts being more uncomfortable with rungs behind the head/shoulders, but is it necessary to have rungs missing to do it properly? Any other exercises that could be impacted by there being a gap vs. not? Hoping someone with a lot more experience here can give some pointers and clarification. Thanks!

I like the stallbars that has a gap in the top part. When you do for example hanging leg lifts, it does not put a strain on your forearms and on the back of your neck. 

The andvantage with bars all they way to the top is that it harder to cheat as you can't lean back at alll.

I see, that makes sense.

Can you also comment on whether there ought to be a top rung a little behind and below the chin up bar? (See picture for what I mean, the one on the right.)

58aca656de91d_2017-stallbarstoprung.jpg.bc856129aad76719638d473fbef9a62c.jpg

The one I might be getting has a design without (like the one on the left), thought I can try to request one.

What are the advantages/usages of that top rung? Any disadvantages if it wasn't there?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Marcus,

I don't think there are any advantages or disadvantages to either of these designs. I think that it comes down to personal comfort as Mats said. I have used bars with similar designs to both of these images and have had success using both. The most important thing is that you have a place to train hard and get your work done.

• Upvote 1