Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Equipment advice

Stephen Nevins

Stephen Nevins

Hey Everyone! 

I'm Stephen and I'm just starting my GB journey. I know this post is a little premature ( I'm just starting fundamentals) and probably a repeat of someone else's question somewhere in this plethora of information, but I prefer to be prepared ahead of time. I've been reading posts about necessary equipment for F1/H1/Stretch, and noticed that it ranged from simple weights, a dowel, and rings ( all of which I own) to Stall bars and P bars, Paralettes, and straps ( all of which are a little more expensive). I'd like to know what would be an effective use of my money as I prepare to go further into the rabbit hole. Any help would be wonderful! Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

I Stephen I think that you got perfectly what you need. a stallbar it is a must, a wood bar, some weights , a bench (table) and a pair of rings. to begin foundations 1 you do not need anything more.

• Upvote 1

Stephen for stretch you may also consider stretching/yoga blocks and a strap although not completely neccessary.

Welcome to GB!

• 10 months later...
Rebecca Conway

Hi all! I have a similar query about equipment. So far I have (and am now attempting to install) stall bars, and have stretch blocks. I don't though have weights for things like the core exercises, and was wondering what weight to get please? My local equipment store has a range of v. low-weight dumbells - essentially half a kg, 2kg, 3, 6, etc and up so I have a lot of choice - I was wondering what weight people advise? I was considering getting two sets and having the option to scale things up and down accordingly. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Also as an aside - and I've been searching the forum - I am really, really struggling to keep, and sometimes even just get, my heels to meet in several of the exercises (I'm doing Foundation 1), particularly in the hamstring/front-split series - I'm also doing fairly shallow squats to keep my heels flat, as opposed to doing full squats where my heels come off the ground. Am I overthinking this or is this just a sign that I really, really need GST?? I'm a former comp. gymnast and was previously extremely flexible. I'm aware a lot of that has diminished, and that's what I'm working to get back to - but I can't work out if I'm taking some of the instructions too literally, or that I'm just now so inflexible that there are just some things I wont' be able to do yet.

Many thanks, team!  

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Rebecca, considering some requirements of the foundations on some weighted exercises you should be able to access to the 50% of your body weight.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey @Rebecca Conway

To start with, you'll need 5 to 10 lbs of free weights.  But, with time, you'll need bigger ones.

For your ankles, using a strap around them will help you to improve your range of motion.  You'll also need to stretch your calves and achilles tendons for your squats.

Take your time and do some daily mobility of your tightest parts to help relieve. :)