Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone here do any kind of grip training?

Andy Desak 36466

Andy Desak 36466

Just wondering if anyone here incorporates any kind of grip training?

I use Iron Minds 'Captains of Crush' grippers... I'll do some pinch gripping, crushing exercises like the grippers, card tearing, support grip etc.

Anyone else?

Darin Phoenix

I dont do any kind of specific grip training, Climbing the rope and some of the extended hangs seems sufficient for what I need in my training.

• Upvote 3

Andy Desak 36466

Well, I've always said, climbing a rope is 50% grip strength so yeah that definitely helps. But I don't do it help with my bodyweight training... I just like training the hands. Always did.

And no amount of gymnastics or weight training will give you crushing power like a set of grippers... or the kind of hand/forearm strength from tearing cards. I tore my first deck last year which felt great!!

Suzanna McGee

My grips are so weak (relatively to my weight) and I really want them strong for my pole. Plus for all the stall bars exercises, especially when upside down so I don't fall on my head… ha ha… I squeeze all the different rubber balls and rings etc, but also I just read somewhere to work the finger extensors, because if they are really weak, then we limit our grip strength (the fingers want to be in balance flexion/extension)… so I am also wrapping a rubber band around my fingers and work my extension. However, my grip strength is improving (way) much slower than I wish… :( 

Andy Desak 36466

Hey Suzanna,

Funny you should mention that as I literally just did some extension work. While the bands are definitely a good way to hit this I also use something else.
Not even sure why I originally bought it but I got a tin of 'Crazy Arron Thinking Putty' from Amazon.com. Its actually pretty cool... you can simply just squeeze it... think like a stress ball.
But I really use it for extension work... I'll flatten it out in my hands and then bring my thumb and fingertips all together. Then I'll push the putty disc around all the tips....and while also applying some pressure with the free hand around the putty I'll open up my fingers. This really hits them good and you can vary the amount of force needed by how thick you make the disc and the pressure applied with the opposing hand. I'd direct you to a video but I've never actually saw anyone else do it.

If you think you may be interested I can make a video if my description wasn't that great.... it's my favorite way to hit the extensors and feels really good on the hands.

As for regular support strength that will come with just repeated hang time. You could also try other exercises like farmers walks... so you won't have to worry about falling on your head, lol.

• Upvote 1

Deadlifts & Farmers walk have made my grip strong. I don't do them as much anymore as I am more focused on GST but they will do wonders for your grip!

Suzanna McGee
15 hours ago, Andy Desak 36466 said:

Then I'll push the putty disc around all the tips....and while also applying some pressure with the free hand around the putty I'll open up my fingers.

This is great. I can completely imagine the exercise. There is a version (that I tried before) when you do the movement in the sand… dig your closed hand in the sand and then open against the sand's resistance. Your thing is more convenient because you can carry it around. I think I will get one. Thank you  :-) and maybe will do the Farmer's walks too. I have a bunch of kettlebells at home and in the car. 

Stephen Nevins

I tend to use my body weight when working on my grip.  I have a rock climbing practice board and  a set of "good gripz" for  my chin up bar.  If I want to increase the load I use either a weighted vest or belt.  Hope this helps! 

• Upvote 1

I did indoor rock climbing for the first time yesterday.  

I also do Brazil's jiu jitsu

rock climbing destroyed my grip.  It was a crazy workout.  

Kevin Seymour
On 2/19/2017 at 10:50 PM, Suzanna McGee said:

My grips are so weak (relatively to my weight) and I really want them strong for my pole. Plus for all the stall bars exercises, especially when upside down so I don't fall on my head… ha ha… I squeeze all the different rubber balls and rings etc, but also I just read somewhere to work the finger extensors, because if they are really weak, then we limit our grip strength (the fingers want to be in balance flexion/extension)… so I am also wrapping a rubber band around my fingers and work my extension. However, my grip strength is improving (way) much slower than I wish… :( 

A competitive power lifter friend recently showed me how just using the inside of your t-shirt or shorts gives the same effect as the rubber band.  I can burn my extensors out that way.  I think that was one of the factors in curing my elbow tendonitis as well. (along with Foundations mobility exercises)

Douglas Wadle

Rock climbing (or campus boards) and towel hangs after your workout will be much better than captains of crush grippers in my opinion.  The problem with any of these is that they will substantially increase your risk of elbow problems if you overdo it, so be forewarned.  

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

Grip strength it is and isometric contraction, so it is angle specific , so you need to train what is your final goal.

• Upvote 9

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Grip strength it is and isometric contraction, so it is angle specific , so you need to train what is your final goal.

I agree with you, we must train for what our goals are. What is your opinion on weighted rope climbs?

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

A good way to develop elbows tendonitis, I had many climbs in a rows of 5,5 meters, adding weight had not a good results on my inner elbows. 

• Upvote 3

Suzanna McGee
On February 21, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Kevin Seymour said:

using the inside of your t-shirt or shorts gives the same effect as the rubber band.

Kevin, how do you do it? You just put your fingers inside your t-shirt, somehow wrap it around or hold tight with the other hand, and then do your extensions? 

Never got tendonitis when I did weighted rope climbs but I only did it once in a while.Will stick to my heavy deadlifts,heavy walking lunges,and weighted pullups for grip training instead since it has worked well for me thoughout the years.

Kevin Seymour
23 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Kevin, how do you do it? You just put your fingers inside your t-shirt, somehow wrap it around or hold tight with the other hand, and then do your extensions? 

Yeah I hold it tight with the other hand.  I feel a burn after after 30 reps or so.

It's not going to turn you into Popeye or anything, but I feel like something is actually happening to counter balance all the gripping of rings, bars, etc.

• Upvote 1

Suzanna McGee
3 hours ago, Kevin Seymour said:

Yeah I hold it tight with the other hand.  I feel a burn after after 30 reps or so.

It's not going to turn you into Popeye or anything, but I feel like something is actually happening to counter balance all the gripping of rings, bars, etc.

Thank you, I will work on that :) I need to get my grips strong so I can hang/spin on one arm on my pole. I am so obsessed about that :) Thank you!

Andy Desak 36466
On 2/20/2017 at 2:42 PM, Suzanna McGee said:

This is great. I can completely imagine the exercise. There is a version (that I tried before) when you do the movement in the sand… dig your closed hand in the sand and then open against the sand's resistance. Your thing is more convenient because you can carry it around. I think I will get one. Thank you  :-) and maybe will do the Farmer's walks too. I have a bunch of kettlebells at home and in the car. 

Yeah, you can also use a bucket of rice which many people do.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:23 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Very true... I have many different objects hanging in my gym... 3 and 4 inch balls, pipes from 1" to 3" diameter, standard climbing rope + a 3" barge rope... hanging from these, doing pullups, skin the cats etc. will hit many different angles.

On 2/23/2017 at 5:38 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

A good way to develop elbows tendonitis, I had many climbs in a rows of 5,5 meters, adding weight had not a good results on my inner elbows. 

I wont argue with that... I was doing climbs with up to 60 pounds last year while also doing weighted pullups and a lot of straight arm strength... Screwed up both arms to the point where I couldn't do simple pullups without great pain for months. I wont say I'll never do them again but the weight would not be any where near a max effort.

On 2/21/2017 at 10:03 PM, Kevin Seymour said:

A competitive power lifter friend recently showed me how just using the inside of your t-shirt or shorts gives the same effect as the rubber band.  I can burn my extensors out that way.  I think that was one of the factors in curing my elbow tendonitis as well. (along with Foundations mobility exercises)

Hey, I tried that... that's cool. Definitely works... I do like the putty better though... much more smoother and consistent. Plus it just feels good on the hands to squeeze it back into shape.

• Upvote 2

Andy Desak 36466
On 2/22/2017 at 9:24 AM, Douglas Wadle said:

Rock climbing (or campus boards) and towel hangs after your workout will be much better than captains of crush grippers in my opinion.  The problem with any of these is that they will substantially increase your risk of elbow problems if you overdo it, so be forewarned.  

The grippers will help but for the end goal being a rope climb I won't argue with that. Just something I've been a fan of and trained on and off pretty much since they became available around the early 90's. I've had a #3 within 1/8" at one point... one day...

As for comment I will definitely +1 the towel holds.

Andy Desak 36466

Ultimately Suzanna if you really want to work your rope climbs I'd start working on rope grip strength now. I'm not sure what progressions are in F2+ but if you have access to a rope start doing some hangs. Reach as high as you can, grab on tight, bend your knees and hang. Be sure to reverse your grip. If hangs are too difficult at first, set your grip and just lean back into a pseudo hang with your feet on the ground... then try to walk your hands down the rope slowly... as in release your top hand briefly and regrip below the other... repeat and your walk your hands down the rope. Your body will get more and more horizontal as you do this and the difficulty will increase... then before it gets too hard start walking back up.... your feet will assist. You can do this for reps.

As your strength increases and you can manage some good static hangs for 10+ seconds on both side you can try to bump up those hangs to pull ups.... once again alternating your grip.

This will work your grip strength and hanging strength. But most importantly will get your hands used to the rope because regardless of your grip strength rope climbs are brutal on the hands if your not used to them. But you will get use to it.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 3

Mathews McGarry

Building big, strong grip is fairly straightforward. Heavy barbell hold, plate pinch, dumbbell farmer walk - all great! Try them :) and go have as you can.

• Upvote 1

Andy Desak 36466
1 hour ago, Mathews McGarry said:

Building big, strong grip is fairly straightforward. Heavy barbell hold, plate pinch, dumbbell farmer walk - all great! Try them :) and go have as you can.

Well... probably not as straight forward for most people as you may think. You mentioned plate pinching which is awesome...I've done it a lot. But most people here probably never heard of it or done it. Just to clarify for the others... you need two weight plates... not the new fancy kind with handles and crap cut into them... but ones with a totally flat side. Put two together with the flat sides out and pinch them between the fingers and thumb. If you can hold 2 45's together then you have some nice high level grip.

• Upvote 1