Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tumbling training

LeeLee Weiland

LeeLee Weiland

Does anyone know of any systems for tumbling training?  Sets/reps and volume/frequency that works over the months/years?  Kind of how bodybuilding, powerlifting, or GB sets up its workouts for expected outcomes?
I can't seem to find anything online about how many tumble-ups, low level passes, high level passes, timers, and other drills to do...or how much volume for things like punches, 1 leg punches, bounding, etc.  It can't be as easy as "do 10 reps of roundoff-backhandspring-double timer" can it?  Or is it more like 50 reps?  100 reps?  Everyday?  Surely there has to be some literature out there...something more than simple Youtube tutorials from already highly trained athletes???

Thanks in advance.

Everett Carroll

Hi LeeLee,

The Tumbling One course has specific requirements set for mastery and detailed programming. The volume required to achieve those mastery requirements varies depending on a variety of factors (i.e. athletes physical preparation and abilities, difficulty of skill, etc.) but it can take hundreds or thousands of repetitions to master a skill. 

• Upvote 1

LeeLee Weiland

Seems the tumbling course is more geared towards rolls and movement and not ballistic and explosive strength.  I could be wrong.  I wouldn't mind if I could find just the plyometric and rebounding workout protocols without the actual technical work of aerial tumbling.  That would help out a lot.

Alessandro Mainente

Every single skills of the acrobatic nature in gymnastics depend on rolls. if you cannot show proper rolls I have serious doubts that you can handle a superior level skills. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
Étienne Lajeunesse
On 2017-2-20 at 4:26 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Every single skills of the acrobatic nature in gymnastics depend on rolls. if you cannot show proper rolls I have serious doubts that you can handle a superior level skills. 

Hi Alessandro,

So, it does help to, one day, start aerial tumbling training.  Is it a sort of progression before going to more advanced moves?

I remember seeing some GB athletes doing back flips, where does it fit in @Coach Sommer's planning?

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

That comes later in the movement courses, Etienne. Everything stems from the basic curriculum that you are training now. 

• Upvote 3

Alessandro Mainente
15 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

That comes later in the movement courses, Etienne. Everything stems from the basic curriculum that you are training now. 

thank you Everett.

• Upvote 1

Étienne Lajeunesse

I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with this, but I was asking because I used to do some tumbling and didn't learn at all by this way.

The thing is, looking at what I was doing vs the GB approach, I wasn't prepared correctly to do all those advanced stuff (no prehab, injuries happened...).  

I'm just happy to come back to the basics. :)

• Upvote 2

Everett Carroll

No problem Etienne :) Basics are king and will prevent the issues you experienced in the past. Keep it up!

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with this, but I was asking because I used to do some tumbling and didn't learn at all by this way.

The thing is, looking at what I was doing vs the GB approach, I wasn't prepared correctly to do all those advanced stuff (no prehab, injuries happened...).  

I'm just happy to come back to the basics. :)

I understand your point and I appreciate a lot how you prefer to move back to basic.

In many many many gym there are people who want to learn to tumble without specific physical preparation and basic movement. the results are simply frustration and no progress.

• Upvote 1

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I understand your point and I appreciate a lot how you prefer to move back to basic.

In many many many gym there are people who want to learn to tumble without specific physical preparation and basic movement. the results are simply frustration and no progress.

I agree on that, I experienced it.  And what surprised me the most, was the lack of follow up by coaches... some even injured themselves by making stupid things.  

I was, initialy curious about where tumbling 1 would lead us, but now, I'm more than motivated to do it, complementing the other courses!