Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Olympic Weight Lifting + Gymnastics = ?

Hayden.M.

Veronica Carpenter and Kim Goss haven't seem to trained anybody of note. I'm not honestly too familiar with either or the programs they worked in.

However, Andy Garcy is Luminita Miscenco's husband who is a USAG National Coach. I don't know where she is coaching currently but I saw that she will be at a local Elite clinic in Santa Clara next month. Last I had heard for her was that Samantha Peszek was training under. She is also known as one of the coaches of Dominque Moceanu. http://goheavy.com/forums/olympic/index.cgi/noframes/read/75194

Personally, I think the fact that having some proper lifting be it the power or oly lifts to the women's program and having it be a success as for decreased injuries and strength has more to do with a lack of gymnastics S&C programming by the women's program in the first place. I can't quite say I am impressed by a lot of the programming in women's programs. I'm sure there are gyms out there that have it down pat, but they are the cream and most are doing as had Kim Goss noted, programming seeminlgly bodybuilding inspired.

As far as plyometrics go, they shouldn't even be part of your program until you're pretty darn strong. minimum 5x5 SLS and 15 push ups, both done with a 2120-3131-ish tempo. That means true perfect form, no deviation at all. Essentially, if you haven't become able to handle your bodyweight slowly and under control, with perfect form, you have not developed the muscular strength or joint integrity to be a)safely performing plyometrics or b) getting a lot out of them.

Very good advice, however it is actually even more complicated than that.

In addition to having a solid foundation of basic strength, it is also important to begin with the proper plyometric progressions. Then on top of the proper progressions, great care must be taken to monitor intensity and volume.

I have seen very strong lifters injured by over enthusiastically performing the intro plyo series that I use with my brand new 4-6 year olds :?. The reason? While strong, their low joint mobility and otherwise lack of exposure to free form athletic movement (e.g. spontaneous jumping, running with shifts in direction etc) had caused a loss of elasticity in the joints.

These deficiencies can be addressed, but it must be done with reasoned and patient work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

***********Is there anything to the old Verkoshansky advice of 2x-2.5x bodyweight squat (or any other equivalent)

before executing plyometric work or rather max depth jumps?

Brandon Green

Coach Sommer
***********Is there anything to the old Verkoshansky advice of 2x-2.5x bodyweight squat (or any other equivalent)

before executing plyometric work or rather max depth jumps?

No.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 1 month later...
Jay Guindon

Would doing weighted single leg squats and weighted deck squats for height, as outlined in BtGB, develop a decent vertical jump?

Joshua Naterman

Almost certainly. They are similar to full range squats, which have a +.96 correlation to vertical jump height. That means that vertical jump is essentially directly improved by full range squats. SLS and deck squats are, by nature, full range, unless you artificially restrict them. If you are starting from the bottom, then they will ABSOLUTELY contribute to your vertical jump height.

Jay Guindon

So why Olift or barbell squat to improve vertical jump if you can deck squat and single leg squat instead?

Joshua Naterman

Olympic lifting builds an incredibly strong hip thrust, which is a key component to any jump.

Barbell squats allow for heavier loading through the full range of motion and greater overall force expression due to the greater stability.

SLS and deck squat work is great, it should certainly be in there too.