Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weight/Fat loss progress

Kate Abernethy

Kate Abernethy

Just leaving this here as a record - back every 13th of the month. Target values: 58Kg, 18%fat (I am nearly 50yo, 169cm tall and shrinking :huh:). Deadline for weight goal: End of May 2017, deadline for body fat % goal: unknown. 

13/02/2017: 65.8Kg, 26.4%fat.

• Upvote 4

Darin Phoenix

Hi Kate, 

Making yourself accountable to a community can be a great way to assist you and keep you motivated on your weight loss journey. 

As Luke said good luck and keep us updated on your journey.

• Upvote 5

Kate Abernethy

Thank you for the support guys :) 

Some more information: At the moment, keeping it simple - take in less calories(A), and expend more calories(B). Being careful not to be too drastic as I would like to keep every bit of muscle I have and am aware of sarcopenia. 

A. Less honey in tea, change from full fat milk to semi-skimmed, reduce food portions by half.

B. 20mins cardio. Currently on the treadmill x3/week at 10.5km/h, building up tolerance before switching to 20 mins interval training daily.

Back on the 13th March :)

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
Kate Abernethy

One month later:

13/03/2017: 63.8Kg. 

A loss of 2kg, and a further 5.8Kg to go by May 13th. Might be a bit tight! Perhaps I should extend the deadline to June 13th?

Have discovered how fatty my lunchtime salmon is compared to chicken. So have cut back on this to 1/4 of my previous consumption. Treadmill is keeping me going faster than I would normally run. Have not yet switched to interval training as the speed control lever is a pain to operate whilst running, would probably be better off doing it on a rowing machine. Plan is now a 20mins treadmill run followed by 15mins interval training on the rower.

Back on the 13th April :)

• Upvote 4

Darin Phoenix

Nice work Kate and thanks for the update.

I don't see the reason to move your goal date at this stage.

Keep working towards your original plan. Perhaps you can reassess next month. A strict deadline will help keep you accountable for the moment.

• Upvote 2

Luke Searra

Hey Kate, you can make your treadmill interval by just getting off of the treadmill and leaving it running. A simple illustration of what I mean for example would be 30 seconds on 30 seconds off or 15 sec ON / 15 sec OFF, the off being you standing on the sides of the treadmill (depending on the type), and just letting it run. @Kate Abernethy it's definitely possible this way.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Ron Kirkland

Good luck with your goals! May I respectfully suggest you research some information from Gary Taubes or Peter Attia? There are others, but the bottom line is eating fat doesn't make you fat.  If you want long term results it could be helpful. 

• Upvote 1

Kate Abernethy

Thank you for the advice, I will. I'm just surprised that my body fat% is on the high side, considering that I've always been active. It's easy to blame the fish! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Kate Abernethy

Apologies, a bit of a non-post as I'm away from the scales (should aways use the same ones right?!). Will weigh on the 18th after the Easter bank holiday (UK).

Kate Abernethy

13/02/2017: 65.8Kg

13/03/2017: 63.8Kg

18/04/2017: 64.6Kg, a monthly gain of 0.8Kg and overall loss of 1.2Kg. It wasn't a good month for consistency of cardio, there were excessive sedentary-type activities, and I am currently waterlogged (females will understand ;)). Going forwards, I am switching the treadmill/rower for jump rope. Will report back in May.

Darin Phoenix

Hi Kate,

Obviously, Winter and I will look forward to hearing how you go with the jump rope it is one of our favorite workout tools. Cardio has never been so much fun. 

• Upvote 2

Kate Abernethy

Thank you Darin. At the elementary stage at the moment - getting knees to go up rather than feet backwards:(

• 4 weeks later...
Kate Abernethy

15/05/2017 65.5kg. I need a haircut.

Ditto notes for 18/04/17. Back next month. 

Darin Phoenix

Hi Kate, 

I am interested to hear a bit more on how things are going for you? Can you expand a little?

• Upvote 1

Kate Abernethy

Hi Darin,

I don't want to expand any more! ;) Thank you for your interest. The problem is getting more mobile whilst in a very sedentary occupation. This problem will be resolved at the end of this year, but for now it's quite frustrating. I also have a fear of overdoing the cardio having lost a patient this way years ago when I was a sports physiotherapist. Since a teenager my weight has always been around the 65Kg mark, but I know that I can improve on my leaness and reduce the excess fat. I am enjoying the skipping, and am increasing the amount of impact slowly so that I don't get shin splints. Definitely doing it the SLOW way here :).

• Upvote 1

Ryan Bailey

Good luck on your journey Kate... I've been hittin up the jump rope for some fat loss as well.  Very fun. I've been trying a little bit almost everyday;  doesn't have that high impact, over training cardio feel that you described.  Hope it goes well for you!

• Upvote 1

Darin Phoenix

Kate and Ryan,

Love that you are both getting into the jump rope. Endless hours of cardio fun. Those sedentary occupations can certainly be a problem. I will continue to follow your journey and wish you the best.

Ryan, you are killing the jump rope already. 

• Upvote 3

Lucy Wilkins

Kate sorry to hijack your post but I wondered if anyone had any tips on useful workouts with the skipping rope. It seems it would be a useful way for me to do some cardio at home. Would I just start skipping away or are there 'skipping workouts' that I could follow?

Winter Phoenix

Hi Lucy,

It's great to hear that you are interested in starting some jump rope training! You could introduce jump rope as your warm up before you begin your GymnasticBodies workouts. Perhaps begin with 60 secs of jumping and 60 secs rest over 5 minutes and don't worry if you miss.

And thanks @Kate Abernethy for the mention I hope you are enjoying your jump rope training!

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
Kate Abernethy

18/04/2017: 64.6Kg

15/05/2017: 65.5Kg

13/06/2017: 63.4Kg. Another 5.4Kg to go. Having a body fat test tomorrow. Don't seem to be particularly leaner, so am hoping that the loss is mainly fat rather than muscle. Had to stop jump rope as I injured my foot skipping in new (firmer) trainers. To help with increasing daily mobility, I've been swopping the motorbike for a bicycle to do the commute to and from work (7miles each way). Over and out :)

• Upvote 5

Kate Abernethy

13/02/2017: 26.4%fat

14/06/2017: 25.1%fat

Tuts.

My work week daily ratio of exercise to desk job work - 2 : 7.5 is simply not helping. Will see how I can adjust this ratio and report back on 13/07/2017.

• 4 weeks later...
Kate Abernethy

18/04/2017: 64.6Kg

15/05/2017: 65.5Kg

13/06/2017: 63.4Kg

13/07/2017: 63.8Kg.

Disappointing. Am feeling leaner though - maybe I'm adding muscle... ;) The fitness manager of where I train has this week given me a proper 6 day cardio program to follow, so next month's result should be interesting/better.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.