Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wrist strengthening

Landon Stubberfield

Landon Stubberfield

I'm working on planches on the floor and my wrists are not a fan of the static holds. I've experimented with varying hand positions and have found what's best for me however my wrists still feel like they're pissed at me after a workout. What wrist exercises would be good to focus on? 

Everett Carroll
1 minute ago, Landon Stubberfield said:

What wrist exercises would be good to focus on? 

Hi Landon,

The Handstand One course has wrist flexibility and strength exercises so I strongly suggest looking into starting that. I also suggest backing off of your current planche variation to avoid aggravating your wrists any further. It is not sustainable to push your joints to that point during training.

To scale back, I suggest starting Foundation One as it will help you to safely progress through planche progressions and prevent wrist overuse symptoms like this from occurring in the future. You don't want to have any pain or discomfort in your joints during or after training. When you do that means you have worked too far beyond your current level. 

• Upvote 2

From general exercise protocols and beyond what is in the handstand course...  do some research into exercises that strengthen the forearm. As far I as I am aware, Rock Climbers, Boxers, Martial artists, and Weight Lifters do forearm exercises. 

• Like 1

Pauline Taube

Hi Landon,

I second Everett's suggestion. Sounds like you're doing too much too soon.

I used to have the same problem, but going back to the basic elements and preps helped me out quickly.

Make sure that you master the basic planche progressions in the Foundations combined with the wrist series in H1. This will prepare your scapula and wrists for more advanced progressions later on :) 

Hi Landon,

For me to get into full planche and straddle planche I definitely found the H1 wrist series to be absolutely essential every session.

• Upvote 1