Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Caloric deficit - how fast can you still progress? (connective tissue repair)

Robert Lopez

I apologize in advance if my understanding on the topic and questions cause confusion, but hopefully the point to my core question makes sense, and someone can help shed some light--

In trying to obtain a better understanding of the biological and physical factors that contribute to continually improving in the GB courses and GST in general: increasing neural strength, connective tissue strength, and muscular tissue strength (as well as continually improving flexibility/mobility and skill technique):

Is it still possible to increase neural and connective tissue strength, while in a caloric deficit?

For example, I have been in 500 calorie deficit (2 refeeds per week on my F7 days) for a few months now, yet I still have been able to progress in my course work, by at least one step, every other week. I understand that I may eventually hit a larger plateau (slower progression), and that being in a caloric deficit is not ideal, but is it still possible?

Also, can anyone speak to or provide more information on what ideal environment the body needs to be in in order for connective tissue to repair adequately, to grow stronger, and to be prepared for each next GB workout session? Assuming increasing connective tissue strength is the most important contributing factor.

From personal anecdotal experience, I can say that a key contributing factor to my continual progression lately is that I am getting leaner (and lighter), as a result of my cut. This is making the course work easier for me, especially in F7, as I have less body weight to push and pull. The core workouts are especially easier as well (less fat to move around LOL).

FYI, I will be done cutting in less than a month once I reach my goal bodyfat percentage of 8%. I then plan on eating at maintenance on my stretch/rest days, and in a slight surplus on my F7 days, in the hopes of having my body in the ideal environment for optimal progression in the GB courses.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Hi Robert,
maybe this question would fit more into the Thrive/nutrition forum? I'm not an expert on nutrition and don't measure my intake or how much I burn during a training session.
Would be curious to know, but in general I simply try to eat healthy and move a lot ... if possible (stupid desktop job;). 
Regarding your question, I think you answered it yourself already:

On 2/7/2017 at 4:07 AM, Robert Lopez said:

II have been in 500 calorie deficit (2 refeeds per week on my F7 days) for a few months now, yet I still have been able to progress in my course work

You seem to be very aware of how many calories you intake and burn during on/off days, which is great. If you're just cutting weight a little bit for a while, but not starving yourself you will still progress. If you would keep doing that over a long period it'll most likely be harmful. Growing connective tissue and tendons is a slow process and the body needs enough stimulation, nutritions, rest and overall consistency to do it. Balance between those over long time is key and guarantees progress. You can push for new results by changing the factors once in a while (like you're low cal. diet) and then balance it out again to let the body adapt and make the new level your standard = feel good level. 

• Upvote 1

Darin Phoenix

Hi Robert, 

I will chip in here with my opinion. :) Breaking down your bodies requirements into an equation, like calories in compared to calories out, is simplifying things way too much. 

If you are progressing well in your training and losing body fat at the same time, I would say that at the moment you have your diet right on point.

You are exactly right in, the lighter and leaner you are the easier the course work will be. The most important strength required for bodyweight training is relative strength, that is your strength relative to your bodyweight. So logically if you are getting lighter while maintaining or improving your strength levels your relative strength will increase.

In regards to your questions on your caloric deficit affecting your connective strength and neural strength. Neural adaptations to strength training involve disinhibition of inhibitory mechanisms, as well as intra- and intermuscular coordination improvements. I wouldn't imagine that a caloric deficit affected this too much. I would probably say the same thing in regards to your tendon strength. The caloric deficit would have to be fairly severe before it started to impact on the integrity of your joints. That being said it would be difficult to gain a significant amount of muscle hypertrophy while in a calorie deficit. It is possible if the circumstances are correct but much more difficult than being in a calorie surplus.

Like I said in the beginning if you are experiencing positive results in your training and feel as though you are adequately recovering between workouts your nutrition sounds like it is working great!

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, Darin Phoenix said:

Hi Robert, 

I will chip in here with my opinion. :) Breaking down your bodies requirements into an equation, like calories in compared to calories out, is simplifying things way too much. 

If you are progressing well in your training and losing body fat at the same time, I would say that at the moment you have your diet right on point.

You are exactly right in, the lighter and leaner you are the easier the course work will be. The most important strength required for bodyweight training is relative strength, that is your strength relative to your bodyweight. So logically if you are getting lighter while maintaining or improving your strength levels your relative strength will increase.

In regards to your questions on your caloric deficit affecting your connective strength and neural strength. Neural adaptations to strength training involve disinhibition of inhibitory mechanisms, as well as intra- and intermuscular coordination improvements. I wouldn't imagine that a caloric deficit affected this too much. I would probably say the same thing in regards to your tendon strength. The caloric deficit would have to be fairly severe before it started to impact on the integrity of your joints. That being said it would be difficult to gain a significant amount of muscle hypertrophy while in a calorie deficit. It is possible if the circumstances are correct but much more difficult than being in a calorie surplus.

Like I said in the beginning if you are experiencing positive results in your training and feel as though you are adequately recovering between workouts your nutrition sounds like it is working great!

Thanks for the feedback, Darin! Much appreciated. I agree, and think I am on the right track. I will carry on!

By the way, I have been following your IG channel since before you commented, for inspiration. You are jacked! I hope to one day look like you! Keep up the good work, and thanks again.

12 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

Hi Robert,
maybe this question would fit more into the Thrive/nutrition forum? I'm not an expert on nutrition and don't measure my intake or how much I burn during a training session.
Would be curious to know, but in general I simply try to eat healthy and move a lot ... if possible (stupid desktop job;). 
Regarding your question, I think you answered it yourself already:

You seem to be very aware of how many calories you intake and burn during on/off days, which is great. If you're just cutting weight a little bit for a while, but not starving yourself you will still progress. If you would keep doing that over a long period it'll most likely be harmful. Growing connective tissue and tendons is a slow process and the body needs enough stimulation, nutritions, rest and overall consistency to do it. Balance between those over long time is key and guarantees progress. You can push for new results by changing the factors once in a while (like you're low cal. diet) and then balance it out again to let the body adapt and make the new level your standard = feel good level. 

Thanks, Bas! I didn't purchase Thrive, so I don't have access to that forum. You have however, helped confirm that what I am already doing must be fine, as it has been working for me, and I appreciate your response! Have a great week.

Darin Phoenix

Thanks Robert,

Glad you are enjoying our instagram content.

I am also inspired by peoples progress and dedication to the program.

Make sure you keep me posted with how things are going for you I will be watching your GB journey with interest. 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.