Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best chest exercises?

Rampage

gymnastics-wise?

pseudo planche pushup on rings to free elbow planche pause. that's pretty gnarly.

straight arm flys are pretty tough too.

HNNNNNNGGG-THESE-QUESTIONS-MAKE-ME-DIE-A-LITTLE-INSIDE.jpg

A pretty vague question, wouldn't you agree?

hilarious!!!!

Yes it is, Rampage i'm sure you had something more in mind when you asked.....

'?'

Otherwise, i'd suggest silicon implants for quick gains in chest size.

But seriously, what are you trying to accomplish that leads you to search for the 'best chest exercises?' Then maybe someone can help.

gymnastics-wise?

Yes, gymnastics-wise.

pseudo planche pushup on rings to free elbow planche pause. that's pretty gnarly.

But with your feet on something right? :shock: I don't know what a free elbow planche pause is. I still haven't been able to set my rings where I will set them, because it hasn't been up to me, but I think they will be ready in 3 days tops for sure.

On what? On a machine? Or like this:

larryscott_rings.gif

Although these aren't exactly straight arm...

hilarious!!!!

'?'

But seriously, what are you trying to accomplish that leads you to search for the 'best chest exercises?' Then maybe someone can help.

Yes, sorry, I didn't think it would be such a "vague" question; I thought it would be something like asking "best triceps exercises" or "best biceps exercises", they make those questions all the time and I don't think they are "vague", in fact they're pretty straight-forward and clear.

I was looking for good chest exercises because lately I've been stuck with just the lever progressions, tucked pullups, handstands and pushups with pushup bars because I haven't been able to set my rings and because I haven't gotten a weight vest either, and well I just wanted to do other chest exercises instead of just doing declined pushups with the little bars, but I started doing them again anyways because I hadn't done them in a while and I got rusty at them.

Not much to accomplish really, just looking to work the chest real good.

p.bars armpit swings...the wider p.bar is, the harder is. Swing above bars with straight body.

This is for begining.

John Sapinoso

bent arm cross pulls.

bending the arms transfers the load off the biceps and lats and directs it to the chest, although that's not technically a cross pull anymore.

hilarious!!!!

'?'

Yes, sorry, I didn't think it would be such a "vague" question; I thought it would be something like asking "best triceps exercises" or "best biceps exercises", they make those questions all the time and I don't think they are "vague", in fact they're pretty straight-forward and clear.

I was looking for good chest exercises because lately I've been stuck with just the lever progressions, tucked pullups, handstands and pushups with pushup bars because I haven't been able to set my rings and because I haven't gotten a weight vest either, and well I just wanted to do other chest exercises instead of just doing declined pushups with the little bars, but I started doing them again anyways because I hadn't done them in a while and I got rusty at them.

Not much to accomplish really, just looking to work the chest real good.

You could mean: chest strength for your current abilities, hardest chest exercise that you could ever expire too, gymnastics only, including all types of exercises, the question could refer to hypertrophy instead of strength. There's lots of different things I could think of for "best."

You could mean: chest strength for your current abilities, hardest chest exercise that you could ever expire too, gymnastics only, including all types of exercises, the question could refer to hypertrophy instead of strength. There's lots of different things I could think of for "best."

Yes, you are right, my bad.

I guess I would go with chest strength for my current abilities, and with the best for strength and hypertrophy.

PseudoPlanchePushup to elbow planche pause at the bottom is one of the progressions in GB.

An elbow planche is like a straight body planche but the elbows are bent with the ribs&body resting on the elbows.

gymnastics-wise?

Yes, gymnastics-wise.

But with your feet on something right? :shock: I don't know what a free elbow planche pause is. I still haven't been able to set my rings where I will set them, because it hasn't been up to me, but I think they will be ready in 3 days tops for sure.

On what? On a machine? Or like this:

larryscott_rings.gif

Although these aren't exactly straight arm...

******** At the level that i am at now i have found that straight arm ring pushups with feet in support are tremendous for the pecs.

Those pictures are of Larry Scott the first Mr Olympia, he used bodyweight exercise to help in development although not exclusively though

Joshua Naterman

WIde ring dips, where you keep the rings wide from beginning to end are great, as are the PPP, as are wide ring supports. I don't mean wide supports on standard rings, I mean setting the rings themselves 3 feet apart for starters, and supporting yourself with straight arms and hands close to the hips. Do these with 5 foot straps or less so it's easy to mount the rings and do these. It's all about angular forces here. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

This question is hard to answer because unlike most other muscles the chest works in many planes of motion, so without having a very specific goal it is not possible to respond with only one.

In my opinion(and to be clear, this is an opinion based on building strength that transfers to gymnastic skills as well as gain muscle size):

Wide-set ring supports and dips will crush your chest like no other in the lower range of motion for the chest, and the PPP with the bent-arm planche pause at the bottom really work the upper chest well. Depending on your body angle and the angle of motion, XR planche leans and doing the straight arm rows(or bent, if you don't have the elbow conditioning for straight) are good for middle range and upper range, depending on body angle. TO make these MUCH more effective, set the rings wide. Now you're developing some serious strength. If you can do even one with the rings set as wide as your wingspan and straps the length of your wingspan I am seriously in awe of you, because that's just ridiculous strength. I don't know if I can do that, but I'm pretty sure I can not. Slow push ups are good for developing bent-arm elbow conditioning, especially for the muscle up transition. Close grips are much more tricep than chest when done properly, so while they help more for the muscle up they are definitely not as good for chest.

There's just no way to give an opinion about exercises without knowing the goal of the athlete. I know you want to get bigger and stronger, so I based my recommendations on that.