Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope Climbing & Speed

Guest Christopher Bassett

Hey All

I am progressing well on my rope climbing ability including multiple non-stop laps. I focus my ascents on slow speed with minimum strokes in order to use a full range of motion on each pull and less momentum.

I am just wondering about when or even if speed climbing should become part of the training? I can understand speed climbing if you want to do competitions but I don't see how it would benefit as opposed to climbing slow and reducing ascent strokes where there is less cheating through momentum and more full range of motion strokes. 

Perhaps I am missing something so I just thought it could be discussed :)

Provided it doesn't cross into kipping and bouncing, going for speed on the rope is very beneficial. Fast up, slow down with a one arm negative if you want to milk it :)

• Upvote 2

Darin Phoenix

Hi Christopher, 

If you have seen the videos for the final progressions to rope climb you will notice that the athlete is climbing at a consistent speed both up and down with no particular emphasis on going fast and slow. I'm with Jon here I can definitely see a benefit in going for speed on the way up. When I personally climb the rope I will often mix up my speeds but always in control on the negative phase.

• Upvote 3

Thanks guys, I hear both of you but speed would introduce momentum I think and it keeps going against my mindset of no momentum on any exercise, in terms of gymnastic strength building. Perhaps I am overthinking it :) I just want to ensure that I am building up my strength and elbow joints in the most efficient manner when rope climbing so they are prepared for when I move onto rings.

Hi Christopher, super solid advice from Darin and Jon. Fast up and slow down will get you strongest and your elbows best prepared or constant speed with no jerking during either the ascent or descent. The really strong guys when they climb rope don't have the bounce between each pull in the ascent.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I think I keep relating speed to jerking/bouncing up and thats my problem! Just got to practice speed without bounce. Cool I am going to go with fast up and slow down with maybe a few one arm negatives to milk it :) Thanks Jon, Darin & Luke for your thoughts & advice