Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

where did my tucked planche go?

Hayden.M.

hi all

this is my first post here. i was just wondering if any body knows what happened to my planch (tucked, because im not super human). i will explain:

probably nearly a half a yaer ago, i found the article on planche training, so i thought i would give it a go starting with the tucked planche as i can hold the frog stand for the 60 seconds. at week one i could hold it for 8 sec, then, in week two, AMAZINGLY it went up to 20 seconds while working at maximum effort trying to beat the score from the day before. since I worked at it pretty hard, i decided to have a day off. then, when i got back into training it after my day off, no joke, i couldnt even get my feet off the floor for probably 2 seconds. while i trained this, I had a cold (i know, why did i even bother while i was ill? i guess i was bored). the time when my cold left me was the time when i hit that 2 second wall. strange - very, true - all of it. im not back into training it about a half a year later, and in 6 weeks im only at 4 sec reps.

im a male, 5 foot 7. capable of doing a "jerky" muscle up on the rings, and a tucked front lever for about 20 - 30 seconds.

my lever training advances brilliantly, i just dont know what happened to my planche.

any ideas, advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated. i love to train and put a lot of effort into it.

thanks

Joshua Naterman

In the beginning, you didn't give your body nearly enough time to rest after your maximal effort.

Recently, you are too weak to be making significant gains on the tuck planche. You should be doing advanced frog and slowly taking more and more weight off of your elbows. Eventually the advanced frog turns into the tuck planche, when your strength is good enough.

Richard Duelley

LoL spidy could do a tuck planche no problem!

Anyways I agree with Slizzardman, rest is more important than work . . . I have learned this the hard way . . . it only took me 3 tries to stop overtraining! :shock: And I actually started gaining weight . . . imagine that!

Joshua Naterman

It seems like there's no way it could work until you take a look at the time recovery and growth takes versus the time it takes to lose strength gains. Then you realize you have absolutely nothing to fear from an extra day or two of rest.

thanks for your replies.

i guessed i should have rest more, but i was getting so excited, beating my record day after day. it was when i decided to have a rest, things went down hill. i only train my uper body 2 a week now, but the tucked planche 4 times.

im not familiar with the advanced frog stand, what it is, what it looks like or how to do it. any info on it please?

by the way, loving that pic, hahaha, i dont know whether to take that as an insult or what, but i love it :D .

thanks

Joshua Naterman

Same idea as frog stand, but with straight arms. Your goal is not to rest on your elbows, but to try and take as much weight off of them as possible(I'm talking about your knees, which are in contact with the elbow). At some point down the line, you'll be able to lift your knees completely off of your elbows, which puts you in... yes, you guessed it!!! TUCK PLANCHE! That's how this is supposed to work.

My thoughts that your ability to perform the tuck planche for 20s as a ME and then only being able to do it for 2s was because you were not recovered yet.

6 months later and you've either lost the strength or ability to tuck planche. No idea what's happened to you in 6 months.

Joshua Naterman

Tucked planche is really beginner stuff as far as planche goes, so he didn't build up enough surplus tendon strength to really last this long, plus his muscles have gotten weaker, PLUS he hasn't been practicing the movement. It's no surprise he's having difficulty.

i appreciate all of your replies.

ive just got one concern though. if im able to hold my tucked planche for 5 sec now, and ive been training them since the begginning of 2010 and this has stayed the same, wouldnt it be more beneficial for me to carry on training the tucked planche? i just get really confused sometimes because i get a lot stronger in evey other area alot quicker. for example, im increasing my tucked front lever quicker, and my pullup reps quicker, and my handstand pushups quicker, and my pistols aswell. i seam to be getting stronger in all other areas faster, with more results. i give my body enough time to recover now, without too much overtraining, and i also train the tuck planche at the very end of my workout session.

thanks.

Joshua Naterman

For you right now the tucked planche is very intense. Until you have at least a 10 second max hold you shouldn't be training it, just testing a few times a month.

For you right now the tucked planche is very intense. Until you have at least a 10 second max hold you shouldn't be training it, just testing a few times a month.

thankyou all for your help.

slizzardman (or anyone really, obviously), do you think it would be beneficial for me to train planche leans and planche pushups along with back lever and handstand pushups (i like muscle ups aswell :D ) to increase my planche efficiency, and then, at the end of each month give the tucked planche another go like you said?