Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wes Maghanoy

Hello

I'm about to start fundamentals, I took interest in looking into this to have overall more strength in general, but also to address the fact that I have lower back pain, and TIGHT hamstrings.(which I'm sure go hand in hand with each other.). I have tight hip flexors too, simply doing crunches kills me on my hips. My question would be, is there anything I can do on a consistent daily basis to improve and address my lower back pain and extremely tight hamstrings.(like a specific stretch, I get conflicting messages online about stretching, like don't stretch your hamstrings like this, or only stretch them with a tennis ball etc. I find it confusing and frustrating because i don't want to practice a stretch that could potentially be more damaging.) I realize that there is no overnight cure, and correcting this issue will take time, I'm ready for that, I just want to manage my time effectively and be productive as possible. I feel comfortable asking for advice HERE.  Should I  just follow the fundamental videos if it is the best course of action in accelerating the healing process of my lower back and tight hamstrings?  Or is there something ADDITIONAL I can do daily outside of fundamental courses to address my tight hamstrings. Thanks in advance, and I apologize if there is an answer to this already.I was searching for something in the forums, but many people here speak in tongues(acronyms) and I just haven't fully picked up the lingo yet. Thanks!

Also currently to address my back issue, I try to be more mindful when sitting for prolonged times at work(i'll stand up and walk around every hour for a bit)  and watch my posture(catch myself slouching)

Edited by Wes Maghanoy

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Wes,

It's great to hear that you are excited about starting the Fundamentals program.

For your lower back, hamstring and hip flexor issues, the Fundamentals course is perfect. You will find that many of the movements and exercises taught in this course will target those exact issues. As you said, correcting these deficiencies will take time, but from week to week you will see yourself improve. As Coach Sommer has said, those problems didn't occur over night so fixing them won't happen over night either. As you are patient and consistent in your training, you will see yourself overcome your physical weaknesses.

Like I said, the Fundamentals course is a great place to start to build a healthier lower back, hamstrings and hips flexors. Once you have completed this course, I would recommend beginning the Foundation One course, to build general strength and mobility, as well as one of the stretch courses, either Middle Split or Front Split. Both of these stretch courses will be extremely beneficial to you.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns as you are getting started. Coach Sommer and all of us here on the GB team are happy to help in any way that we can.

• Upvote 1

Pauline Taube

Hi Wes,

Welcome to the GymnasticBodies community!

Great advice from Jeffrey.

You can perform the exercises from the Fundamentals daily. An when you add the Stretch courses do these once a week. I've seen many students overcome low back pain by targeting the hamstrings. The Front Split series and the weighted mobility in Foundation One target these issues :) 

Looking forward to see you progress!