Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Equipment Requirement

Bilal KABBANI

Bilal KABBANI

Hello, 

It's been frustrating to get a list of equipment required for each course. It should be mentioned somewhere very clearly on the website. During foundation 1 i would sometimes be surprised when moving to the next progression when i realize that i don't have access to the right equipment.

I'm now considering to buy the stretch series and i've been looking to find a list of equipment that will be required but can't find it anywhere. Would be great if we can get this info. 

Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Pauline Taube

Hi Bilal,

Here is a list of equipment for each course. 

Fundamentals: none 
Foundation One: Floor space, Rings, Light dumbbell, Mat
Stretch: Stretch blocks, Resistance Band (optional) 
Handstand: Wall, Dowel with Weight or Weighted Bar (5-10lbs) 
Tumbling: Wall and Floor space

Please let us know if you have any more questions :) 

• Upvote 1

Deepti Kannapan

What do I need in order to set up the rings? What length of rings should I get? What do I need to hang them off of? 

Pauline Taube

Hi Deepti,

You can set up rings from a chin up bar/smith machine or tree branch outdoor. It's also possible to get a pair of door hangars and set the rings up between the door frame. 

The length of the straps depends where you hang the rings from. 8 foot straps are perfect for use over a standard height chin up bar or with a Smith Machine, and will have minimal excess strap to get in your way.

If you have a higher mounting point or need the rings to reach floor level, 16 foot straps would be better.

• Upvote 1

Bilal KABBANI

@Pauline Taube thank you, i just started the stretch series, started playing the 45min Thoracic video at home and got blocked when they moved to the stall bars and bungees. I have neither of those. It's really important to get complete clarity on required setup/equipment from the beginning i.e., before we buy the series and start the workout. For example now i'm starting to Google stall bars and gyms with stall bars and ideally i should have known that before buying the series. Any suggestion on how to go through that progression without stall bars?  

• Upvote 1

Pauline Taube

Hi Bilal,

Good question. There are a number of substitutes you can use for the stall bars. I've been traveling the world for almost a year and most of the time I don't have access to gym equipment. 

Below I've listed alternatives for equipment in the TB course:

TB/SE10-11: Band Work

You can attach band to: 

-To decks railing.

-Around a post or tree. 

-Under a dryer/washer/pool table leg.

-Around a vehicle’s tire. 

-Around the foot of the couch 

TBS/SE12: Elevated Cat

-Table, deck railing, stool, stairs, ballet bar. 

TBS/SE15: Inverted Cat

To replace exercise ball: Edge of a couch, bed or a box 

To replace stahl bars: Parter spot, deck railing, weight in hands (5-10lbs)

TBS/SE17, 19, 21: Elevated Bridge Variations 

-Table, chair, box, deck railing, stairs, couch, countertop, mantle, etc.

TBS/SE23: Bridge Wall Walks

-Wall, tree, post, or fence. 

Please let me know if you have any more questions :) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 10

Some great advice by Pauline, Bilal. Keep us updated with your progress and with any other questions you may have about equipment.

• 1 month later...
Jason Hoffman

I have experienced this same frustration. I've seen the equipment list for Foundation One that was referenced above and assumed I was good. Yet I have encountered exercises that needed a pommel horse (or back strap) and layers of mat which I simply don't have. And if there are workarounds they are not referenced in the videos. I can't help but wonder what else I will need. The equipment list for Foundation One seems incomplete. I should add that I'm a huge fan of GB, I love it, and am just looking for accurate information.

That's the "problem" with working out at home. It takes a while to set up a decent home gym and it's a lot about improvising. Good thing with GB is once you've got a set of rings and stall bars it'll get you a long way! Other things like weights, flexbands, matts, blocks, boxes, back straps etc can be substituted and improvised like pauline suggests.
I bought a wooden ladder, modified it a bit and attached it to a wall as a stall bar substitute. It isn't perfect but does the job. The ring straps can be used as back strap, just add a blanket or sth to make it comfy. 

• Upvote 3

Winter Phoenix

Some great suggests here from Pauline, not being paralysed by her traveling schedule. 

And Bas using some creativity can result in "where there's a will there's a way."

• Upvote 1

Douglas Wadle

Always look ahead a little to see what you might need in the future.  Almost all can be done w/ very limited equipment.  I have rings I bought, that hang from a solid pipe in my basement workout room, reinforced the pipe w/ joist straps (also serves as pull up bar).  I have stall bars I made for less than $100 w/ a saw and a drill.  I have a pair of parallettes I made out of PVC pipe for about $10.  I have a piece of metal pipe that is 1.25" thick and weighs about 7# that I bought for $12 at the hardware store.  That's gotten me to where I am and will serve me through the whole program.  I will only need to find a place to hang a rope come rope climb time.  Occasionally I've had stretches where I visited a park a few days a week for part of the workout.  95% of the time I do my workout at home.  use pillows or a thick dictionary for stretch blocks, or just buy one, they're cheap.  Don't need to overthink the equipment needs, they're really quite minimal and come over time.  If you buy/make what you need when you get to a new need, it will be spread nicely over time.  Even if you bought it all at once, it would set you back less than $200.  If you have a workout park near you, you wouldn't need any of this.  Great post above by @Pauline Taube and there are lots of other posts on equipment needs and ways to be creative w/ specific needs if one searches using the advanced search feature.  Have fun!  The great thing is most of this you can do on the road as easily as you can at home.  It's a very accommodating system.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Pauline Taube

Thanks for sharing, @Douglas Wadle! Love the creativity in here, always get some new ideas :) 

I second Winter: "where there's a will there's a way." Always look for solutions rather than excuses, and you'll find a way to work around :) 

• Upvote 1

Winter Phoenix

Hi Jason, 

You can view the entire list of exercises for each course that you have purchased under the course library which can be found under the Fitness menu in your dashboard. 

Nice suggestions @Douglas Wadle.

Generally with peoples equipment requirements where there is a will there is a way.  It is certainly a lot cheaper than a gym membership.

• 4 months later...
Dean Atkinson

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can perform the Modified straddle reverse hyper without stall bars or waist belt things ?

I have pull up bars and bands if that helps.

Thanks

Dean

Pauline Taube

Hi Dean,

You can perform reverse hypers using a box, bench or counter top :) 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
Joaquin Malagon

Are the weights necessary to start off F1 or HS1? If so, what would be the minimum weight we should start off with?

Joaquin Malagon

Hey Pauline, thanks for getting back to me. Does this also apply for the rest of F1/HS1? 

Pauline Taube

Yes, these beginner courses will not require heavier weights. However on some of the iMs such as Jefferson Curl, your long term goal is to build up to half your bodyweight so eventually you want to find a way to increase the weights here :) 

Joaquin Malagon

What about dislocates? So I'm assuming beyond F1, heavier weights will be needed for the mobility elements? Also what would you recommended, dumbbells or plates and a dowel or both?

Edited by Joaquin Malagon

13 hours ago, Joaquin Malagon said:

What about dislocates? So I'm assuming beyond F1, heavier weights will be needed for the mobility elements? Also what would you recommended, dumbbells or plates and a dowel or both?

Joaquin, for F1 you can substitute the dumbbell with a thick book at the beginning (at least worked for me) and for HS1 dislocates you can use either a towel or broomstick with some added weight. Jefferson Curl requires some more weight, but for me it took whole year until I reached to that progression:) So, don't worry about the weights, there is no hurry with them.

• Like 2

Pauline Taube

Hi Joaquin,

As Janno mentioned, you can substitute a dumbbell with a book or another object (i.e. water bottle). A broomstick and plates will be the most helpful equipment as you can use this for the Handstand course (dislocates eat) as well as Jefferson curls until your technique is on point :) 

• Like 1