Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Foam Rolling/Massage and GST

Daniel Luketic

Hi @Daniel Luketic,

Based from my experience, foam rolling/massage/using a lacrosse ball for trigger points really helped specially for my traps. Even when doing tons of stretching and mobility work, my traps became tight because of using it too much with the more harder progressions. Getting a good physio would be probably the best but is always hard to find.

• Upvote 3

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

Body work can help recover from the demands of training when done correctly. Many ways to skin this cat for sure. Like Leo said, lacrosse ball work is really helpful a step as is good body work or a sports massage.

• Upvote 3

Alessandro Mainente

Foam rolling it is extremely helpful before a focused stretching session, it helps the recovery since it promotes the tissues relaxation which decrease the pressure over the veins and vessels.

you need to to know the muscles anatomy and pay attention to the execution, it can be useful, but if you pinch a nerve it will be your last movement for a couple of weeks.

• Upvote 2

Jonas Winback

Using it on a regular basis to increase tissue blood perfusion is probably a good idea, to perhaps help with muscle recovery, prevent and treat the formation of myofascial trigger points through removal of waste products/metabolites, etc. When I don't stick my patients with deep dry needling, I tell them to do this. They can either choose pain, or... somewhat less pain (or both, ouch). (although they more often than not find it worth it when it helps)

J Strength Cond Res. 2016 Sep 23. [Epub ahead of print]

Acute effects of lateral thigh foam rolling on arterial tissue perfusion determined by spectral Doppler and Power Doppler ultrasound.

Abstract

Foam rolling has been developed as a popular intervention in training and rehabilitation. However, evidence on its effects on the cellular and physiological level is lacking. The aim of this study was to assess the effect of foam rolling on arterial blood flow of the lateral thigh. Twenty-one healthy participants (age 25 ± 2 years, height 177 ± 9 cm, body weight 74 ± 9 kg) were recruited from the medical and sports faculty. Arterial tissue perfusion was determined by spectral Doppler and power Doppler ultrasound, represented as peak flow (Vmax), time average velocity maximum (TAMx), time average velocity mean (TAMn), and resistive index (RI), and with semiquantitative grading that was assessed by four blind-folded investigators. Measurement values were assessed under resting conditions and twice after foam rolling exercises of the lateral thigh (0 min and 30 min post intervention). The trochanteric region, mid portion, and distal tibial insertion of the lateral thigh were representative for data analysis. Arterial blood flow of the lateral thigh increased significantly following foam rolling exercises compared to baseline (p<0.05). We detected a relative increase in Vmax of 73.6% (0 min) and 52.7 % (30 min) (p<0.001), in TAMx of 53.2% (p<0.001) and 38.3 % (p=0.002), and in TAMn of 84.4% (p<0.001) and 68.2 % (p<0.001). Semiquantitative Power Doppler scores at all portions revealed increased average grading of 1.96 after intervention and 2.04 after 30 min compared to 0.75 at baseline. Our results may contribute to the understanding of local physiological reactions to self-myofascial release.

I think with much like everything here if it is done with focused attention and done correctly it can be highly beneficial. But, if you are just randomly rolling on a foam roller or lacrosse ball without enough pressure than you are just wasting your time. If you feel comfortable, i'd venture to say that you are wasting your time. I would say to shoot for continued discomfort while continuously trying to relax the area that you are working. You shouldn't just be smashing yourself as hard you can either. It is a balancing act, so learning to breath and relax through the discomfort takes a lot of focus. 

Roll On,

Ian

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Daniel, like Everett and Leo I strongly believe in myofascial release to compliment not only stretching and mobility but also strength AND recovery if done consistently. From my personal experience if I take a step back and look at the benefits gained over weeks or months they are pretty profound.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Ferdinand Berr

Just for the purpose of clarity:

Do you recommend foam rolling before or after the training session? As far as I know, it should be done prior to stretching in order to prepare the tissue, but how about strength work? My current approach is to use the foam roller prior to my training sessions and if possible on off days. I'm mainly using it for the lower body though, I probably should do more upper body work with it.

Jonas Winback

I do it in combination with stretching or separately, but not right in the middle of strength training. it seems like it might be able to hamper force production in a muscle somewhat if you do it between sets (even if it's an antagonistic muscle). But it does increase tissue blood blow also, so at least personally I feel like it can help me recover between crosstrainer sessions/sets, but I haven't really tried it between strength sets.

Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2016 Dec;11(7):1076-1081.

EFFECT OF DIFFERENT FOAM ROLLING VOLUMES ON KNEE EXTENSION FATIGUE.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Foam rolling (FR) is a common intervention utilized for the purpose of acutely increasing range-of-motion without subsequent decreases in performance. FR is characterized as an active technique which subject performs upon themselves. Thus, it is believed that the accumulated fatigue can influence whether the task can be continued.

PURPOSE:

To analyze the effect of different foam rolling volumes on fatigue of the knee extensors.

METHODS:

Twenty-five recreationally active females (age 27.7 ± 3.56 y, height 168.4 ± 7.1 cm, weight 69.1 ± 10.2 kg) were recruited for the study. The experiment involved three sets of knee extensions with a pre-determined 10 repetition maximum load to concentric failure. Then, subjects performed the control (CONT) and foam rolling (FR) conditions. FR conditions consisted of different anterior thigh rolling volumes (60-, 90-, and 120-seconds) which were performed during the inter-set rest period. After that, the fatigue index was calculated and compared between each experimental condition. Fatigue index indicates how much (%) resistance the subjects experienced, calculated by the equation: (thidset/firstset) x 100.

RESULTS:

Fatigue index was statistically significantly greater (greater fatigue resistance) for CONT compared to FR90 (p = 0.001) and FR120 (p = 0.001). Similarly, higher fatigue resistance was observed for FR60 when compared to FR120 (p = 0.048). There were no significant differences between the other conditions (p > 0.005).

CONCLUSION:

The finding of foam rolling fatigue index decline (less fatigue resistance) as compared to control conditions may have implications for foam rolling prescription and implementation, in both rehabilitation and athletic populations. For the purposes of maximum repetition performance, foam rolling should not be applied to the agonist muscle group between sets of knee extensions. Moreover, it seems that volumes greater than 90-seconds are detrimental to the ability to continually produce force.

Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2017 Feb;12(1):76-84.

MAXIMUM REPETITION PERFORMANCE AFTER DIFFERENT ANTAGONIST FOAM ROLLING VOLUMES IN THE INTER-SET REST PERIOD.

Monteiro ER1, Škarabot J2, Vigotsky AD3, Brown AF1, Gomes TM, Novaes JD1.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Foam rollers, or other similar devices, are a method for acutely increasing range of motion, but in contrast to static stretching, do not appear to have detrimental effects on neuromuscular performance.

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of different volumes (60 and 120 seconds) of foam rolling of the hamstrings during the inter-set rest period on repetition performance of the knee extension exercise.

METHODS:

Twenty-five recreationally active females were recruited for the study (27.8 ± 3.6 years, 168.4 ± 7.2 cm, 69.1 ± 10.2 kg, 27.2 ± 2.1 m2/kg). Initially, subjects underwent a ten-repetition maximum testing and retesting, respectively. Thereafter, the experiment involved three sets of knee extensions with a pre-determined 10 RM load to concentric failure with the goal of completing the maximum number of repetitions. During the inter-set rest period, either passive rest or foam rolling of different durations (60 and 120 seconds) in a randomized order was employed.

RESULTS:

Ninety-five percent confidence intervals revealed dose-dependent, detrimental effects, with more time spent foam rolling resulting in fewer repetitions (Cohen's d of 2.0 and 1.2 for 120 and 60 seconds, respectively, in comparison with passive rest).

CONCLUSION:

The results of the present study suggest that more inter-set foam rolling applied to the antagonist muscle group is detrimental to the ability to continually produce force. The finding that inter-set foam rolling of the antagonist muscle group decreases maximum repetition performance has implications for foam rolling prescription and implementation, in both rehabilitation and athletic populations.

Everett Carroll
7 hours ago, Ferdinand Berr said:

Do you recommend foam rolling before or after the training session?

I agree with Jonas. After training or on a recovery/stretch day is best.

Michael Vetter

I tried foam rolling on a roll yesterday.

Only lower body. It was the first time I did it in many months (and before that it was also just for trying it out). It was also the first time since doing the Stretch courses (for something around 1.5 - 2 months).

I was surprised that the back of my legs (calf and hamstrings I guess) I wasnt able to find any spot that hurts, quite contrary to when I tried it the last time. Although I used the same amount of weight (lying my other leg on top).

Could this really just be with 2 months of the stretch series?

Beside the shin (tibialis i guess) I still felt some pain.

Everett Carroll
23 hours ago, Michael Vetter said:

Could this really just be with 2 months of the stretch series?

That's great Michael! I'm sure it is. I also noticed far fewer trigger points after starting the Stretch Series. It only gets better, too.