Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pullups

De_LosSantos

to note, one of my lil guys can do 7 but can only hold a tuck FL with slightly bent arms at all. Same with BL.

based on that, maybe 10. however, he could simply not be strong enough in the abs and back which would make a lot of sense.

I waited until I could do about 8. When I couldn't do 2 pull ups, I was barely able to hold a tuck front lever with really bent arms. When I got to 8 I could hold a tuck for a few seconds with slightly bent arms. When I did start working the front lever the gains came fast and within 4 weeks I could do a 10 second negative with straight arms.

Gleam from that what you will.

More than 5 with great quality is enough for stop doing them and pass to the next (which is l-sit pullups).

Even if bent arm strength doesn't affect straight arm strength, it's better to perfect basic skills like this before entering the magic world of shoulders and elbow pain :lol:

Does anyone here think it is acceptable to do front levers with bent arms or with the body at an angle other than parallel to the floor, if the person cannot do a proper tuck lever?

Does anyone here think it is acceptable to do front levers with bent arms or with the body at an angle other than parallel to the floor, if the person cannot do a proper tuck lever?

No.

You will gain a big bad habit!!!

If you can not do with straight arms or with straight body, you are not strong enough to do it. Take a step back and work with easier variation.

No.

You will gain a big bad habit!!!

If you can not do with straight arms or with straight body, you are not strong enough to do it. Take a step back and work with easier variation.

Well, what I mean is that there is no easier variation than a tuck lever. So, the question is, is it ok to make the tuck lever easier by using a different body angle or bent arms, or should all lever work be discarded until you build more strength with different exercises?

Tuck with stradle legs?

Ordinary if you can't work with easiest variation, you must work on other exercises in this case body levers (stradle) ...

Gregor, here's what I mean.

9v9he9.jpg

Shouldn't the "low angle,' "high angle," and "bent-arm" tuck levers be easier than the "proper" tuck (front) lever? If so, would these be appropriate ways to decrease the difficulty of front tuck levers?

You could bo them as negeative declines as slowely as posible (from inverted hang to dead hang). Like 3x3

TIP:

1. turn palms down

2. press your palms down like a hell

3. at the same time squeeze your butt and abs like never before

Is there anything dangerous physically about doing a front lever with bent arms or is it just a problem of deductions and it being easier so theres less strength gains? I ask because I find bent arm front lever work to be friendlier to my wonky elbows.

not just because it's ugly and worng, muscles work diffrently... If your elbows are hurt, then you are going to soon on this. Read topics about elbows condition and elbow prehab.

If your elbows are hurt, then you are going to soon on this

Thanks for the reply Gregor. Im wondering though if you could be more specific about the sentance I quoted. Are you saying that bent arm front lever will lead to elbow problems? How?

Nick Van Bockxmeer
Is there anything dangerous physically about doing a front lever with bent arms or is it just a problem of deductions and it being easier so theres less strength gains? I ask because I find bent arm front lever work to be friendlier to my wonky elbows.

the elbows need to be fully extended for the purpose of building muscular and connective tissue strength. In any straight arm movement, even slightly bending the elbows greatly lessens the training load on the arms. Failure to lock out the elbows is not dangerous, it is just evidence of inadequate strength. Straightening the arms fully is neccesary to train the triceps in full extention.

If you can't yet hold the tuck at horizontal, you are probably better off training a higher angle but with locked elbows.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also tuck your legs tighter. Pull your knees closer to your face. My friend and I were working out together, and I noticed I tucked a lot tighter than him. He concentrated on how tight he was tucking on the next rep, and was able to hold it longer because the weight was closer to his shoulders. This is one place to lessen the intensity of the tuck FL if you can't do it.

You can also have someone spot you, or use some pallet bands for support.