• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Counting certain foods?

Noah Schettini

Noah Schettini

Hi All,

Curious on your thoughts.

Should I count the carbs from veggies/fruit etc?

I am pretty happy with where I am weight/BF wise - but could lose another 10lbs or so. I want to keep strength, so for me, losing less than a pound a week on average is okay with me. Right now I only count calories from starchy carbs, fruit, and any minisul calories from other foods, ie avocados, protein shakes etc through MyFitnessPal. Since it counts it all; I try to personally only count the starchy and fruit carbs, the rest I ignore.

Example, eat veggies, potatoes, chicken and avocado for lunch. I count the protein that's in the chicken, carbs in the potatoes, and fat in the avocado. The small amount of extra micronutrients in the foods, I ignore...

What are your thoughts?

Everett Carroll
24 minutes ago, Noah Schettini said:

Should I count the carbs from veggies/fruit etc?

Count them towards your total daily intake? 

Noah Schettini

Yes...so if I wanted to consume 150g of carbs a day - currently I only count fruit and starchy carbs to get to the 150. Any other carbs: fruit or small amounts from other types of food, I don't count. So by my current method, I techinally eat more than 150g of carbs.....

Everett Carroll

If you are working to create a caloric deficit by tracking food consumption then those calories should be counted. I suggest counting everything you consume towards your macros when you are tracking. This all depends on your specific goals, however. If you are looking to start changing your dietary habits and get off the tracking game then Thrive is the place to look. People are having great success with losing body fat and continuing to build strength using that course so it could be a great solution for you!

• Upvote 2

Noah, you answered your own question. If you want to count calories then you have to count them. There is fat in chicken and there is carbs in avocados. Almost nothing is purely 1 macronutrient. IT will surprise you at the end of the day how different your profile is when you count all your food. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel Kiely

You can discount the fibre content from your carb count if you are going into ketosis, but 150g cards will keep you pretty flush with sugar. 

And as stated above count or dont count there is no fooling the body. 

Dan

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.