Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength vs Size

Rampage

EDIT: Finally, on a relative scale smaller people can always achieve higher multiples of bodyweight, in general, due to the way physics works. On an absolute scale, bigger people are always stronger. There's a reason why you only see giants bench pressing 700 lbs raw, for example, or deadlifting 1000 lbs. Again, there are always physics involved here, but compare the records of the 120-150 lb weight classes, where you tend to find the highest relative strength, with the super heavyweights. Absolutely no comparison in weight moved, the heavyweights move hundreds of lbs more in just about every lift, but the multiples of BW are very different.

In the end, this boils down to one statement: Smaller people will always have an advantage in manipulating their own bodyweight, but bigger people will always have an advantage manipulating external loads. There will always be some outliers, but that is the status quo.

When everything else is equal a bigger individual is usually the stronger one. However seldom outside of comparing top level elite athletes do you get to make such comparisons. Experience, technique and proficiency in a certain lift/moment pattern will usually reign supreme over muscle size. However when experience and technique as well as the genetic talent for a lift/movement are the same, the bigger individual wins.

I suppose hypertrophy can also be used as a way to close the gap between skill in two people.

I will definitely have to get off my kick for gymnasts and ballerinas and yoginis and start dating some olympic lifters.

Oh wait, that was my secret motive behind wanting to compete in Oly. It's out now. Shhhh.

:lol: