Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rings on high ceiling - cables or chains?

Jonathan Horowitz

Jonathan Horowitz

My ceiling is 13 feet (4m) high, and I want to be able to reach the floor with my rings. Would it be better to use chains down from the ceiling, or a high tensile strength cable? 

I like the look of a cable but will freely admit that it would be silly to compromise safety for aesthetics.

Jonathan Horowitz

What more details would you like? I don't know what I would need that's why I'm soliciting advice. 

Everett Carroll

Can you post a picture of/describe what you will be attaching the chains/cables to? Details on the strength rating for each is also helpful.

Jonathan Horowitz

Ah ok, this I can answer.

The ceiling is finished, so what I'm thinking is I will be running a 2x6 or 2x8 perpendicular across three of the joists with multiple lag bolts into each joist, and will put the rings 10" off either side of the middle joist to get the standard 20" spacing. I'll use threaded eye bolts on the 2x10 and then a threaded chain link to attach the chains/cables.

As far as load - I'm 6 feet tall, 195 lbs, and very early in foundation so I won't be doing much from support, if anything. Eventually I would like to be able to do muscle ups but obviously with no crossfit kip or anything. 

Does that help? 

Sounds like chains vs cables is not a uestion of safety as long as either one is strong enough to support 2x your body weight.  
Crucial is how those would attach to the ceiling!
Besides that how to lower/raise and secure them.
Most ring sets come with nylon straps and belt buckles. They are durable, reliable and convenient for changing the ring height. 

• Upvote 1

Go to your local climbing shop and buy 2x3 meters of static rope off the roll, and two rated climbing carabiners. Put a double figure of eight knot in either end of the two ropes, so that they're exactly 2 meters long. Suspend one end on the chain link, and attach the carabiners to the other end. Now you have a suspension point 2 meters above the floor, that you can fix the rings' nylon straps to. Adjustments can then be made via the buckles on the straps.

• Upvote 2

Nice thread! Mac Gyver's Gogo-gadgeto-rings :D ...they will make my makeshift stallbars jealous without a doubt!

@Jonathan Horowitz it just came to mind that wooden rings and cables might not be a good idea. You d have to get metal rings if they were to hang directly from the cable. Wooden rings provide a better grip and feel much nicer though.
You might be able to find suitable 8m nylon straps at your local hardware store, in case you cant find a ring set with straps that long. 

It might be good to use a very solid eye bolt or better 2 for each ring and make sure the eye is wide enough or the straps not to old.
...or just run the strap over the joist itself w/o extra screws, bolts that can come loose or break.