Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder taps vs side taps?

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

Shoulder Tappers or Handstand Wall Runs improve the traps tremendously, make the shoulder girdle stronger --> help with presses!

I know the topic of coach that says 10 minutes wall runs once a week was most beneficial.

My question is know: What about "Side Taps?" So exactly the same, but not touching the shoulder but the side of the upper leg/almost knee?

Is it only harder for balance aspect or do you also need more strength?

Can you say that for example 10 shoulder taps equal 2 side taps in case of strength?

At my old gym, the boys had to complete 100 shoulder taps at a time (1 count is tapping each shoulder once). When they could do that, the next step was 100 consecutive side taps. I was wondering what the difference is and why side taps are so hard.

thanks

Everett Carroll

Hi Katharina,

I ran this by @Jeffrey Bittner, who has surely done his fair share of shoulder and hip taps, and we agree that it is a simple matter of increased time on a single that makes hip taps harder than shoulder taps.

• Upvote 4

Alessandro Mainente

You need to show more one arm wall handstand control since the arm it is completely moved to the side and the center of gravity it is moved a bit to the side both in the ascent and in the descent position.

• Upvote 4

Katharina Huemer

Thank you both for the informative replies!  Would you say that it is beneficial to transfer to hip taps once you can do a certain amount of shoulder taps?  Or is it only necessary when you want to learn a one arm handstand? 

Hello Katharina,

When they are both performed correctly the difference is moderate at best between the two variations.  

However if someone has been 'cheating' or short cutting their single arm extension and weight shift on HS Wall Runs, then the transition to tapping the hips rather than the shoulders is going to be an eye opener and quite educational. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Katharina Huemer
18 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Katharina,

When they are both performed correctly the difference is moderate at best between the two variations.  

However if someone has been 'cheating' or short cutting their single arm extension and weight shift on HS Wall Runs, then the transition to tapping the hips rather than the shoulders is going to be an eye opener and quite educational. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I always thought hip taps are a lot more difficult until I tried them out yesterday, because somehow I never have. The only difference I noticed was that it is a little trickier to balance when you are very close to the wall and it is a little more intense on the traps because it takes a little more time to tap the side of your body, so you spend more time on one hand, but nothing major.

Thank You very very much for your reply!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like you are making great progress Katharina, keep it up!