Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 key questions: One impeding my progress

Mike Ross

Hey guys I need some major support here I have two questions:

1) I have found alot of the scapular work has lead me to have some pretty bad shoulder pain....im not sure if its the rotator cuff or deltoid muscle but I do know that the side of my neck and Traps are extremely tight as well and all the upper body moves are doing is aggravating it....What should I do 

and

2) I have a noticeable anterior pelvic tilt are Jefferson curls a good exercise for this or am I making the problem worse?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Mike , the solution of your problem comes after a physiotherapist's diagnosis. No one behind a monitor can say what is the origin of your shoulder problem and if the JC it is the solution for your anterior pelvic tilt.

I'd think that practicing posterior pelvic tilts will help compensate and over time correct bad posture like a constant anterior pelvic tilt. Core, core, core and training ppt is probably good to be at the top of your list. 
Like Alessandro said > best to go see a physio and make sure you're fit to do certain exercises or how to do them right.

A strong PPT will already place the hamstrings under tension.  A lot of hamstring stretching on top can make the problem worse. Best to see a Physio.

I went to a physio and and he told me don't do ANY straight arm stuff do all bent arm because he places unnecessary strain on the joints and Don't do anything rounded back so no to Jefferson Curls....I think I am going to have to self diagnose and use my own judgment here because everything he is saying pretty much says don't do Foundation course...which is horrible advice I am of the mindset not doing something doesn't fix the problem

2 hours ago, Mike Ross said:

I went to a physio and and he told me don't do ANY straight arm stuff do all bent arm because he places unnecessary strain on the joints and Don't do anything rounded back so no to Jefferson Curls....I think I am going to have to self diagnose and use my own judgment here because everything he is saying pretty much says don't do Foundation course...which is horrible advice I am of the mindset not doing something doesn't fix the problem

:facepalm: This got my blood boiling a bit this morning...

Wouter Molenaar

It might be that you did go to quick in the foundations, sometimes its good to take a step back and build up again then to continue what you are doing.

And the stretch courses sound like a good idea to start building base..

As a physio I also advice people to spend there daily life standing with a straight back and not a rounded one. It changes when you do it in a controlled way (like a jefferson curl), go see a second opinion when you dont trust this physical therapist.

• Upvote 2

LOL it got my blood boiling when he was saying it infront my face I wanted to tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about....

Hello Mike,

Your therapist is an idiot. Time to move on.

Note that in all likelihood it is not the scapular work that has led to your shoulder pain, it is training your scapular work with too much intensity.  Dial it down and learn to listen to your body better.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 8

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

Many of us PTs have had it beat into our skulls throughout schooling that a neutral spine is the optimal spine. This is mainly true in the event of pathology. I found this to be odd as I was going through my schooling as I considered that our spines are built with LOADS of joints...they are intended to allow motion of the spine within all plains. I'm sorry that your physio is still buying into this idea.

You did not mention if you are dealing with any low back or hip pain, and, as Alssandro says, it will be difficult to diagnose anything through a computer monitor. However, assuming that you do not have an low back or hip pain, to "correct" this you can focus on strengthening your posterior pelvic tilt (abdominals and hip extensors) and stretching hip flexors and lumbar extensors. Obviously this will take a decent measure of time. How much? This will often be up to your consistency.

Coach is right (about both things). Dial down the intensity. A video would also be helpful, again, it's hard to say without getting hands on you.

Once again, I'm sorry your physio was a goob. We deal with people on the daily who have no consideration in doing anything to improve their fitness despite the fact that they're in our clinics. Many times conversations will go something like this:

"It hurts when I do this!" *does the thing that hurts* ... "Then don't do that."

• Upvote 4

Thank you for your detailed response I have been diagnosed with an anterior pelvic tilt...I do have lower back pain and tightness in the hips and piriformis...I find my side ending to be restrictive and usually it is activities that put me into over extension or twisting etc that tweaks my lower back

i am doing alot of pigeon pose and sitting in a resting deep squat to help correct the problem but I think I really need to fix this anterior pelvic tilt and I do not know how

One reason I also avoid doing the bridge series is fear it will put me into over/hyper extension

Everett Carroll

Hey Mike,

Like Coach said, be sure to dial the intensity down. Don't rush and keep in mind that you want to make change over months and years, not weeks. Also try to find a good physio to work with. There are good ones out there who can help you sort out your specific issues.