Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't do muscle-up; is it a strength or technique issue?

Midas

The video is awesome, very helpful! Thanks! This will definitely help to master the muscle-up :D

With the false grip you really need to put your wrist on the bar right?? It's much harder on the bar than on the rings.

I'll play with it. While I have always had good flexibility naturally, I think it was mainly because I worked on it from a very young age while I never worked on shoulder extension till my 20's. Supposedly, due to a handful of rotator cuff tears, my pectorals compensated by becoming very tight according to the chiro. I remember being more flexible in this RoM the farther back I can remember doing this stretch. Ce la vie.

Joshua Naterman

I have been working hard to stretch my upper pecs and my lats, and it's helping a lot with extending down towards the dead hang in the false grip pull up. I actually didn't have much trouble in the russian dip, but I did spend a lot of time just hanging in the down position building strength in the fully bent part of the dip!

Joshua Naterman

Thanks Razz! I have fun making these videos, and it will be even more fun to put new ones up as my abilities slowly increase.

Eventually, probably by next summer, I'm going to start running clinics for youth athletes so they can start learning how to properly strengthen their bodies for athletics. Quality coaching is hard to come by in the middle and high school athletic training departments, so I feel like I will be doing a service to these kids by showing them how to maximize their athletic potential. SHould help them get scholarships and stuff like that, you know?

I remember being more flexible in this RoM the farther back I can remember doing this stretch. Ce la vie.

Hey Blair,

I've found that posterior shoulder extension is something I have to consistently focus on. It's one of the areas of flexibility that if I don't focus on, it will definitely noticeably decrease very quickly. When I was doing Crossfit workouts, for example, repeatedly hitting high-volume stuff definitely didn't help.

Slizzard,

Nice pulling power. The only detail I would suggest for you would be to hang in full extension in false grip prior to beginning pull-up, otherwise you're missing the full ROM. It will return to bite you, as it did me, unless you build it in.

Check out Jovtchev's "False Grip Pull-ups" at 0:53.

OXQxs-epsus

jason

Joshua Naterman

Nice video Jason! I am working on my ROM every week, but it will be a while. I'm definitely not neglecting it! Thanks for the video!