Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Manna - An Advanced Static Strength Element

Coach Sommer

Ok, thank you for your replies and for having me in :D

My problem is that i cant push my hips at all so i started this exercise. But exactly as a secondary exercise.

And other thing is, i can't deside if i should train for l-sit, straddle l or msh :D

My problem is that i cant push my hips at all so i started this exercise. But exactly as a secondary exercise.

If you cannot press your hips forward at all, the only thing you should be concentrating on is the MSH. There is truly no substitute for following the correct progression for manna development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you again, this cleared things up :D

The reason why i can't deside is because seated press handstand is propably even bigger longterm goal for me

and i don't know if msh helps me achieve this goal.

But the sure thing is i am going to train hard and explore as i go.

My l-sit has gone from not being able to do it to almost 20 seconds in only few weeks :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Erik Sjolin

It is extremely difficult for me to even accomplish the easiest variation of the manna. As such, I have a few questions that (probably) may have been asked before. It's incredibly difficult to accomplish the proper hand position (I think my lats are blocking my arms, unless I'm not doing the position properly). Also, should the glutes/legs be resting on the arms/hands initially?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

It is extremely difficult for me to even accomplish the easiest variation of the manna. As such, I have a few questions that (probably) may have been asked before. It's incredibly difficult to accomplish the proper hand position (I think my lats are blocking my arms, unless I'm not doing the position properly). Also, should the glutes/legs be resting on the arms/hands initially?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

If your lats are a bit bigger then you must place your hands out a bit more.

Legs rest on the arms in MSH; glutes are probably a little too close there..

Erik Sjolin

Thanks for the advice. I'll give this a shot for a few weeks and see if there's any progress.

• 4 months later...
Alexander Moreen

I just started including this into my warmup a week or so ago. Currently at the 3rd step, and I was just wondering if I am wasting my time doing half my MSHs on rings with the other half on the floor? Is manna on rings possible?

• 1 year later...

hi coach ,,,i know raising the manna high require lot of strentgth ,,but does it still feel heavy when it is up completely like in the video or is it just balance a little contraction like one hand stand ,,,thank you for replying in advance coach ,,,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
JOSE QUINONEZ

To prepare for this movement, I sit down on the floor with my hands by my hips, then I proceed to lift my hips up and trying to keep my body straight. A bit hard on the hamstrings, a bit hard on the abs, but HARD on the triceps and back of the shoulders. It looks like the opposite of a planche lean.

• 11 months later...

is there any exercises for manna like five sets of this with ten reps or its just attempting l and straddle and middle splits holds and if so how long should i be practising these a day (i dont wanna do anything but a manna for this year)..please help  :D  

Joshua Slocum
is there any exercises for manna like five sets of this with ten reps or its just attempting l and straddle and middle splits holds and if so how long should i be practising these a day (i dont wanna do anything but a manna for this year)..please help  :D  

Maybe you should read the first page of the thread. Your questions are answered there. 

• Upvote 1

No man all I found in the previous pages are progressions which is really helpfull btw thanx to the coach for giving us the chance to learn online but im asking for a workouts exercises underlined

Joshua Slocum

No man all I found in the previous pages are progressions which is really helpfull btw thanx to the coach for giving us the chance to learn online but im asking for a workouts exercises underlined

As I said, everything you need is already on the front page:

I tend to train mannas by blocks of time rather than for a particular static hold; by that I mean that my athletes will focus on the movement for 5-10 minutes, two to three times a week.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

There you go. Set a stopwatch for 10 minutes, and do what you can from the progressions until the timer goes off.

Ehm hey I'm pretty new to all this bodyweight training but wouldn't it be way easier to do the Elevated middle split hold with tucked legs instead of straddle? I mean the straddle is supposed to make this easier so why not go all the way?

Joshua Slocum
Ehm hey I'm pretty new to all this bodyweight training but wouldn't it be way easier to do the Elevated middle split hold with tucked legs instead of straddle? I mean the straddle is supposed to make this easier so why not go all the way?

The purpose of the exercise is to strengthen your straddle so that you can lift your legs in a straddle position. Performing the exercise in a tuck would not convey any benefit in this regard. 

The purpose of the exercise is to strengthen your straddle so that you can lift your legs in a straddle position. Performing the exercise in a tuck would not convey any benefit in this regard. 

As I saw it it was to increase the elevation of the body itself and increase the angle between the arms/body. Seeing how the feet shouldn't get above the hips I don't get any flexibility from that part and we were doing it in straddle so it could be easier I don't see why tucked wouldn't be a nice first step(it's still hard as hell). 

EDIT:Another question...must my fingers be pointing backwards during this one too or just during the excercise itself?

Edited by trolololo

Philip Chubb

One of the more physics inclined people will correct me if I'm wrong, but when you are approaching the top of the manna, it will be much harder in a tuck. Because your feet will be down by your hips instead of near your head. Near your head, they will counterbalance your hips and make holding the top more manageable. Near your hips, the feet will simply add extra weigh and force you to work harder to hold it up. So to make the best progress, a good straddle is necessary in the long run.

Joshua Slocum

The ultimate goal of the manna is to elevate the body away from the arms. As Alex noted, the easiest position in which to perform this ascent is in a middle split hold. Pressing to a manna from a pike is harder than in a straddle. A tuck would be even harder because tucking brings your lower legs further from your shoulders, increasing the torque you have to exert to lift their weight. Thus, before attempting to elevate your hips, you should learn to perform a middle split hold. This is why in the progressions, you first learn to hold your legs up in a straddle, and *then* start trying to elevate your hips.

You could skip learning to perform a middle split hold, and just go straight to trying to lift your hips while in a tuck. But if you do this you will progress slower, and ultimately you'll probably have to end up learning the MSH anyways. 

Well I see your point Alex. Still I think it would be way faster  to get a flexibility and starting strenght boost with the tucked version and then a few months later start reinforcing it with the straddle. And jfslocum I've already got the middle split hold with my hips at some distance from my hands.

Joshua Slocum

What exactly is the problem then? Are you lacking the ability to pull your legs towards your torso whilst in the straddle? In that case, working the press in a tuck whilst simultaneously working your leg mobility could be beneficial. But don't neglect the leg work. 

I simply get more of an angle while tucked and was thinking that if I first get some progress on the tucked and then start straddle I would be able to work on muscles for different angles at the same time(like 45° tucked and 20 straddle) which should shorten the timetable quite a lot.