Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Manna - An Advanced Static Strength Element

Coach Sommer

Maximilian Schmahl

According to the code, a manna is harder than a planche on floor. But it's not possible to say which one is harder because it highly depends on your talents and body composition which one is harder for you. For me, a manna is easier than a planche, but for someone else it might be the other way around.

Joshua Slocum

According to the code, a manna is harder than a planche on floor. But it's not possible to say which one is harder because it highly depends on your talents and body composition which one is harder for you. For me, a manna is easier than a planche, but for someone else it might be the other way around.

According to the code, a manna is worth more points than a planche on floor. The difficulty rating given to a skill is based on several things: how hard the skill is to execute (e.g. does it require a lot of strength or technical prowess?), how hard the skill is to achieve (e.g. does it require developing exceptional flexibility?), the personal biases of the people who decide difficulty ratings, and a host of other factors. 

• Upvote 1

I wrote in the previous post that I am not saying I believe it. It is just what I have heard from others who work with this type of strength training. I also said I hope it isn't true. I haven't seen anyone on this board accomplish it nor do you go on youtube and see many adults doing a manna or saying the accomplished one. If the foundation series changes that, we'll see. 

GB forum member Lucas Abner has achieved a perfect manna, but I think he is a teen. Steven Low was very close to a perfect one (he basically had a low manna), you can see it on his youtube channel.

Coach Sommer

I am speaking about adults achieving it. Children have much different nervous systems. 

It has nothing to do with the nervous system and everything to do with the almost pathlogical lack of mobility of most adults.  Couple that with the non-existent core strength (by GST standards) and you have a problem with manna development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Philip Chubb

It has nothing to do with the nervous system and everything to do with the almost pathlogical lack of mobility of most adults.  Couple that with the non-existent core strength (by GST standards) and you have a problem with manna development.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Well hopefully that has been my problem too! I have gotten both F1 and H1 and am hoping to achieve a manna out of it!

• 1 month later...

I see in that the elbows are often hyperextended of people doing Mannas. Would you consider this as an advantage of achieving a Manna?

Alessandro Mainente

i thing that, if your elbow are naturally hyperextended, you can put the hands more forward respect to the hips without increase the tension (due to elongation) over the wrist flexors. for the biggest part of  people work on the manna variation as the msh is a matter of poor mobility of the wrist if the fingers are put backward. simply the hyper extension lets to the forearm to stay more vertical (with less stress over the wrist) while the upper arm is flexing backward. low hyper extension needs a bigger angle in wrist extension.

from my personal experience with msh is easier exert more strength (tu push the hips forward) if the hands are in front of the hips, but that requires more flexibility...

• Upvote 1

Wilson Jordon

My weight is 90kg and its not a acceptable task for me....I just doing weight loss exercise to make my body atheletic and Gymnastic.

• 4 months later...
workinprogress

Has anybody with no hyperextension of the elbows achieved a manna? I have always had < 180° extension on elbows and like Mats Trane noticed, mannas are regularly performed by gymnasts with hyperextended elbows. I'd be very curious to see someone like me perform a manna. 

It is also true that the majority of elite gymnasts have hyperextended elbows, but we always have Zanetti and Chechi as representatives ;-)

Anybody with hypo-extension, I am challenging you hehe

Coach Sommer, have you had any records in your experience?

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hi guys... After acquiring a good preparation with the "Stall Bars", it is recommended to start with "Middle Split Hold" ????

Let me know, many thanks!!!!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Ashish Rambojun

I tried hmsh with retracted shoulders and with very minimal lats flexion but i was unable to get my hips in front of the hands..

do you need to engage the lats also??

Does that help to push the hips forward more?? 

Connor Davies

I tried hmsh with retracted shoulders and with very minimal lats flexion but i was unable to get my hips in front of the hands..

do you need to engage the lats also??

Does that help to push the hips forward more??

Out of curiosity, how is your normal L sit?

• 6 months later...
Christian Byskov Nielsen

Im quite confused about what the Horizontal Middle Split Hold means.. Is it just the MSH were you keep you legs horizontal to the floor? :-) 

Im quite confused about what the Horizontal Middle Split Hold means.. Is it just the MSH were you keep you legs horizontal to the floor? :-) 

Yes :)

• 2 weeks later...
Christian Byskov Nielsen

^ Thanks :-) 

How important is the positioning of the hands? 

Like every picture/movie ive seen of people doing the Manna their hands are pointing backwards.. 
I find it quite easy to do the MSH with my hands pointing forwards but i'm troubling doing it with them pointing backwards.. 
Will that be a problem for me later on, or should i start focusing on pointing them backwards? 

Edited by Christian Byskov Nielsen

Alessandro Mainente

IT is important since the hands positioning is related to external/internal upper arm rotation that as a consequence is involved in more or less chest muscles stretch. since full retraction comes with external rotation and chest muscles stretch you should use more facilitation as you can. so hands backward is better.

• Upvote 1

i was under the impression that the upper arm should be internally rotated when doing any should extension work.  ive been told this is a more stable position.

i was under the impression that the upper arm should be internally rotated when doing any should extension work.  ive been told this is a more stable position.

Incorrect.  They should be externally rotated with the scaps in retraction.  

Whoever told you this has no idea what they are talking about.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Dylan Robertson

Coach I'm presuming this is the same way that all extension exercises should be trained. (Retraction and External Rotation) For HS/PE2-IM though how should the elbows be positioned. Should the elbows be facing down, or should they be faced away from each other (towards the side)