Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring training skin injury?

rayneman

Hey ya'll,

I have been working on my muscle ups. Today I did a large number and tore holes in the bottom of my palm near the wrist, bilaterally. Is this a common injury and how does one avoid this in the future?

Thanks

Rayne

John Sapinoso

is it the part where you over grip?

over time you gain both calloused hands and a sense for when your skin will tear and a high tolerance for pain.

you want to work as high up to that point as possible before they actually tear since that will help build callous.

But other than that, there's not a whole lot you can do.

I've overheard some people at a meet saying something about icing their hands and soaking them in salt water, I think it does something with the moisture and prevents ripping...or something, but i've personally never tried it.

Edward Smith

what you've described sound like rips (although holes?), which are simply rips on your hands. Coach has suggested a treatment, soaking the hands in super-saturated water (saturate the water with salt until no more will dissolve) for 10 minutes (if I remember correctly), this is also a good method for maintaining calluses, yes build up your calluses this will help prevent rips.

Ha Ha, yes, rips, not "holes", is a more appropriate way to describe the problem. I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Rayne

I just did a forum search and found a post by Coach that explains the salt water soaking protocal, thanks for your direction. Next time I will do some searching :wink:

Coach Sommer

Placing a strip of athletic tape high up around the top of your wrist will eliminate most of the tearing you are experiencing.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 4 weeks later...

i started taping my wrists when i do muscle ups because the skin on my wrist gets all cut up. i've found if you just place tape around the top of your wrist, it starts to roll up while you're exercising, but if you follow these instructions it stays put and protects your wrist:

http://rifsblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-tape-your-hands.html

• 1 month later...

Even on trained hands you get skin injury. At least once or twice a month I get skin injurys on my wrists from "leather grips." Sometimes gets infected but's that is necessary evil...

• 6 months later...
i started taping my wrists when i do muscle ups because the skin on my wrist gets all cut up. i've found if you just place tape around the top of your wrist, it starts to roll up while you're exercising, but if you follow these instructions it stays put and protects your wrist:

Thank you for the link.

I've recently learned how to do real muscle-ups and my wrists always rip and I wouldn't practice them until the heal, now I can practice a lot! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the link.

I needed to learn how to tape my wrist

matthew.percussion

I have noticed a slight callus build up on my wrist over the past couple of weeks. My wrists used to always get really torn up but they are getting relatively tough now.

A word of warning on taping your wrist, yesterday I tried that for the first time. If you wrap it very tight when you get into the false grip it will squeeze and can hurt quite badly.

Most of the time it is okay, but I was down to the last bit of tape and it was getting difficult to unroll.

I have noticed a slight callus build up on my wrist over the past couple of weeks. My wrists used to always get really torn up but they are getting relatively tough now.

A word of warning on taping your wrist, yesterday I tried that for the first time. If you wrap it very tight when you get into the false grip it will squeeze and can hurt quite badly.

Most of the time it is okay, but I was down to the last bit of tape and it was getting difficult to unroll.

Thanks for the headsup :)

• 4 months later...
Wangtang6911

When I swing on rings, I get the worst rips on my wrist area from the grips. The best thing I have done to prevent that is to take a piece of foam from the foam pit. Rip off a good square of foam about 1.5"x2" in height and length and maybe 1/4" in thickness and just tape it over your wrist area. That has saved me when swinging! Hope it helps!

Coach Sommer

For those who experience wrist irritation from grips (and it varies greatly from individual to individual), the neoprene wrist bands are usually tremendously helpful.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

You might all want to look into a product called Tuf-foot. It's essentially plant balsams and some other stuff dissolved in rubbing alcohol. You put a little in your hands and rub on the areas you want toughened. It literally toughens the skin. It doesn't make it stiff, it doesn't make it callused, it just makes it very resistant to injury. It takes about two weeks of daily applications to get fully conditioned, and it is really beyond amazing. And the bottles last for frikin' ever man! I've had one bottle for about a year and i'm not through it yet. Check the site, it gives the whole history behind the stuff. I can wholeheartedly recommend it. My hands and feet never get blistered or torn or anything!

http://www.tuffoot.com/about/humans.htm