Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fundamentals to foundation, time/costs..?

Matthew Piercy

Matthew Piercy

Hi,

I'm a newbie and I've just done Fundamentals. I want to progress to the foundation course, but am worried about the time commitment and potential cost/difficulty of buying and using kit.

i don't mind putting time into a workout, but I need to fit it around work and family and so far 30-40mins has been my max. The FAQ says there are some 60 min sessions. Are there many? Could I feasibly put these at weekends?

Also we have a small house with little outside space. Will I need to get a rope and or rings? Will this mean a 5 minute jog to the park first to hang kit from a tree (sometimes in rain/snow/the dark).

Im really keen to keep going (fundamentals is really only a basic intro and I want to see improvements), but I need to know if there is going to be a huge commitment needed.

cheers

matt

Hi @Matthew Piercy,

In all kinds of programs, commitment is the one that will determine your progress rate. Yes you can still go through the Foundation Courses as far as 30-40 mins and maybe schedule the 60 mins during the weekends. Rope will be needed but in the later part of Foundations. Yes you will need to buy rings. I would suggest that you buy the GB Xtreme Rings. You can find ways to mount your rings on google/youtube so you wont have to jog to the park. But jogging helps too :) 

• Upvote 3

Jeremy Huston

You will need rings or something similar (TRX) right away. They don't need to have long straps -- your feet will be on the ground for a while.

I'm in Foundation 3 and haven't touched a rope yet, so you have plenty of training before you'll need one.

• Upvote 1

Matthew Piercy

Thanks both.

So the time for each daily workout is about 30-40mins with the occasional 60 mins then..?

Basically, I have about 30mins slack in my day and I can squeeze a work out in this time window. Otherwise I'll have to do it in the middle of the (small) living room with a 3 year old running round me and climbing on me. Or get up earlier, and we're not getting enough sleep at the mo with our 3 month old. So it's a bit of a tall order. Don't want anyone to think it's simply a lack of commitment on my part, but practically speaking there's not a lot of time to play with.

Anyone manage to do this with kids?

Edited by Matthew Piercy

Stephen Majerle

I have a 2 year old son and another on the way. I squeeze in workouts during my lunch hour and at night after my son goes to bed. If you are committed to getting the workouts in you will find a way to make it happen. 

• Upvote 2

30-40 minutes will get you a long way for quite some time. If you do have a day that will take longer, it IS possible to split-up the workout -- it might not be ideal, but rather that than use time as an excuse not to do it. But until I started adding additional mobility / warm-up material, I was running through each workout in the same kind of schedule you have.

Rings really aren't all that expensive, and work great from a cheap pull-up bar (maybe not forever - I'm not far enough along to know - but certainly for a long, long time in the course)

I've just finished a workout with my 3.5 year old running around. I had a 5 minute delay while he wanted to sit on me, but mostly he and his brother, 5, play around wanting to do their "exercises," too, which if you ask me means we're setting them an awesome example. 

One of the beauties of GST is it's something I CAN do when the kids are around - one of the reasons I switched from kettlebells, because swinging a 50lbs bell around is just not possible with young kids wanting to get involved. Foundation movements are mostly safe for them to try to mimic, and not dangerous if one of them gets in the way unexpectedly. 

Do it - you'll be just fine. 

Bogdan Banculescu

My kids are older (17, 18, 20). But still taking care of their schedule. I wake up around 5:30-6 am and perform 20-30 min of meditation, 30 min of pranayama and 30-40 min of workouts. In case I am lazy and I need to postpone the training in the afternoon, I rather take an hour off the work (my office is 7 min far away from my home) and train and get a shower in that time, then back to work. I am involved also in afternoon courses (teaching and learning) and sometimes I go out to clear the day history. So quite busy but doing my best to cover all the duties. Trust me: there is hope! ;)

• Upvote 1