Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is a press with no lean possible

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

Hey guys,

I am looking for a video of a person performing a straddle press from straddle L with as little lean as possible. I have not been training for a few months now as I was really busy, but I can still press up from straddle L and lower down controlled, which really surprised me. When I was in full training, I could do around 5 reps comfortably, sometimes cracking the 10 rep mark but with very bad form!

Here is a video what my best presses looked likes if someone is interested:

Now my question - How little lean is possible?

The more flexible you are and the better your technique, the less strength you need. So I would like to have a video of someone performing a press and almost requiring no strength due to excellent technique.

Any ideas? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Coach has mentioned two athletes in his experience that have been able to perform it with no lean at all- one was an olympic female champion and the other was one of his boys who had 30+ stalder presses in a row. Obviously it requires some exceptional ability to achieve.

I do not have a video; perhaps someone has YouTube-fud one up

Alessandro Mainente

It is possible on very young kids where the weight it is very very low, actually one of my kid who is very strong for his age is doing negative stalder press with almost zero lean. but he is also extremely flexible. I mean 90°pancake with body at about 45° under the horizontal and same thing for side split pancake.

• Upvote 1

Katharina Huemer

What is a front split pancake?

I also have the hyper pancake thing! Would love to see a video of a no-lean press.

Can someone tell me why I am still able to press up although I have not even been on my hands for more than 8 months now?

54 minutes ago, Katharina Huemer said:

Can someone tell me why I am still able to press up although I have not even been on my hands for more than 8 months now?

Hi Katharina,

Because you built a solid foundation of connective tissue strength from your prior gymnastics training which will last for quite some time.  

This will not last forever however.  It has already begun dissipating.  The rate of connective tissue deconditioning however is slow enough that you might not notice it at first.

If you continue not training for several years, you will eventually reach the point of of losing all you had built previously.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

If you continue not training for several years, you will eventually reach the point of of losing all you had built previously.

Story of my life!! lol :P

• Upvote 1

Katharina Huemer
9 minutes ago, Julian Aldag said:

Story of my life!! lol :P

So true! What happened to you? Why did you stop?

Katharina Huemer

Thank you all for the replies! And thank you Coach for exemplifying that. I know it is horrible to stop.
When I was still an athlete and later a student (studied sports and german to become a high school teacher - it takes 6 years here in Austria!) I just had the time for all of it. My body never got "out of the routine", I never missed an open gym class plus did a lot of sport at university.

But now I am just so busy with work, seeing friends, driving all the way home to my parents every now and then, walking my dog and so on...

Long story, but basically life and a major injury got in the way. However, now Its all about making it important enough to be a priority :) 

• Upvote 1

Katharina Huemer
36 minutes ago, Julian Aldag said:

Long story, but basically life and a major injury got in the way. However, now Its all about making it important enough to be a priority :) 

Good Luck!

On November 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Katharina Huemer said:

But now I am just so busy with work, seeing friends, driving all the way home to my parents every now and then, walking my dog and so on...

Hi Katharina,

I always find the 'too busy with life' reason for not working out ironic as often times not working down the road leads to a very poor quality of life.  

However when we are young we tend to feel that we have all the time in the world.  It is only later when we begin paying the price for our neglect that we realize the enormity of our error.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 15